John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:48:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gravitar Cabinet  (Read 2855 times)
CowboyZeroOne

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2016, 09:56:28 pm »

Picked up my first cabinet two weeks ago via Craig's list, and had no idea what I had until I got it home and started searching the internet using the Atari serial number on the back of the cabinet.  Gravitar.  No monitor, no pcb. Has the isolation transformer and power supply.  Wiring is in good shape.  Over under coin door and coin mech in good shape.  Some small nicks around the edges but the side art cleaned up really well.  CP was neogeo'd at some point, so would need to be replaced.

I thought it was in a lot worse shape when I drug it out of the sellers basement.  But since I have started cleaning it up, I'm having some serious issues with what direction I should take it.  Originally I just wanted a beat up cabinet to start playing with mame, jamma, wiring and such.  I honestly don't know if I could do that to this cabinet now.  I look at it and it screams to me that it wants to be put back to its original bad ass state of Gravitar. Not be a run of the mill RetroPi. 

I'm looking for a little advice, pros and cons from you folks on best move from here.  Since this is my first cabinet, first project, I could sure use it.

Greetings, Starfighter. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan armada.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 01:36:02 pm »

Photos? How is the artwork?

Is the original harness there?

BadMonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 01:59:45 pm »

I would say make it the most badass Gravitar ever! From my perspective, you are not ruining anything that hasn't already been ruined. If it was already a Gravitar and you were going to convert it to some kind of BS cab, I would poopoo you. You have an opportunity to restore something cool, or just go with your original plan. It all boils down to parts, time, and money. How much do you/will you have of them? Gravitar may be worth more for resale or trade down the road. We all know that collecting starts with one. I said I only wanted one about 40 cabinets ago. (I blame the Johns Arcade channel)

just rebuilt another g07. On to the vector on Asteroids!
CowboyZeroOne

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 07:07:44 pm »

Photos? How is the artwork?

I got pics, just can't seem to figure out how to attach them to the post.

Is the original harness there?

High Voltage side, coin mech, coin counter, with molex, but no edge connector.  So no inputs in to the power supply ( ARII ) I believe.

Greetings, Starfighter. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan armada.
CowboyZeroOne

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 07:15:51 pm »

See if this works...

http://s36.photobucket.com/user/cowboyzeroone/library/

m60a3tts

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 11:41:55 pm »

That cab look's great, I would restore it.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 09:05:37 am »

that cabinet looks fantastic. I would save it too.
CowboyZeroOne

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 11:56:37 am »

Well I am going to need some help then.

Needs a harness, monitor, and cp to start with.  I'll post something over in the other section see what pops up.  You guys got a line on any of those things?

John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 02:14:45 pm »

Well I am going to need some help then.

Needs a harness, monitor, and cp to start with.  I'll post something over in the other section see what pops up.  You guys got a line on any of those things?

You might be able to save the CP.

CowboyZeroOne

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 05:27:55 pm »

http://s36.photobucket.com/user/cowboyzeroone/media/IMG_3157_zpslfqc5jxx.jpg.html

I've seen you do some pretty damn good restorations.  You got a way to plug these holes up?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: