John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 16, 2024, 09:02:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: John goes to Hong Kong  (Read 5362 times)
Gameroom Designs

View Profile WWW
« on: September 30, 2014, 08:31:30 am »

I'm anxious to watch the new vid, which I've been waiting on since Sunday. I can't wait to see the culture clash between North American and Asian Arcades. (I'm going to count the number of patrons wearing Swatch Watches, for sure.) On another note, considering we're all waiting for a triumphant return to an active restoration, I'm reminded of an old saying:

It's not the destination, but the Journey that counts!

;)

John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 10:51:33 am »

I'm anxious to watch the new vid, which I've been waiting on since Sunday. I can't wait to see the culture clash between North American and Asian Arcades. (I'm going to count the number of patrons wearing Swatch Watches, for sure.) On another note, considering we're all waiting for a triumphant return to an active restoration, I'm reminded of an old saying:

It's not the destination, but the Journey that counts!

;)

I'll be getting back to Journey this week. Can't wait! Smiley

There are a lot of Swatch stores in Hong Kong. I picked up a new Swatch while I was there. Smiley
Crazybanana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 04:41:59 pm »

How did you like Maximum Tune? I just sold ours. Initial D(another import driver) seems more popular in our area! Namco is releasing both the new mario kart and Max tune 5 for the US this year!
Jack Burton

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 06:43:24 pm »

This was an awesome video, and a very nice surprise too. Thanks John. I am intrigued now why Asia has such superior arcades ("Game Centers" LOL) than we do. Maybe it's a cultural thing... And people "want to get out." I have a feeling it would come back to economics though.. And the fact that we have so much here... I.e. we can buy bigscreen TVs and PS4s for way cheaper than you can in emerging markets. My buddy in India said it would cost him $1,000 for a PS4. Here they are going for $360 now. Anyone else have any theories why arcades are so prolific in Hong Kong and shit in NYC, Houston, LA or any other comparable sized city in USA?

-------
amplibax

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 07:53:44 pm »

I cannot wait to watch this.
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 10:25:22 pm »

What in the world were you doing in Hong Kong? I hope your job sent you there because that's an expensive trip just to play video games. LOL! Those were some interesting video games but you Know what? Nothing will ever compare to the games of the 1980's.

And yes I'm sick of the redemption games too. My son is only 4 and really likes it when I take him to play games. I just took him to Dave and Busters a few weeks ago. I hadn't been there in about 4 or 5 years. The last time I was there it was still all video games. Now it's about 85% redemption games. They are horable to play and the so called prizes are nothing but junk. Any of the decent prizes that they have you can buy at a store for less then 1/10 the money that you will dump into the redemption games to win enough tickets for the "prize". Not worth it. Give me good old fashioned video arcade games or nothing.
airsoftmodels

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 11:19:34 pm »

Otaku

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 12:49:15 pm »

My buddy in India said it would cost him $1,000 for a PS4. Here they are going for $360 now.

Heh.
postmortem

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 01:48:09 pm »

It's awesome that fighting games are still big over there. I wish i could walk into an arcade here and have lots of people to slaughter on mortal kombat.

Cabs: Tron, MKII, MK4, KI2, Blitz99, TMNT, Pac-Mania, Mame Box.
PCBs: MK1, UMK3, Killer Instinct, Area51, Sunset Riders
Pins: Bride of PinBot
Gameroom Designs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 02:28:49 pm »

What in the world were you doing in Hong Kong? I hope your job sent you there because that's an expensive trip just to play video games. LOL!

Yeah, John. What do you do for a living?

Jack Burton

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 03:52:14 pm »

What in the world were you doing in Hong Kong? I hope your job sent you there because that's an expensive trip just to play video games. LOL!

Yeah, John. What do you do for a living?

You didn't know? John works as a Product Designer for Spencer's® Adult Men's Pleasure™ product line.

-------
Chuckie egg

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 06:56:55 am »

Fantastic vid john
But do you know what I like best was the Bruce stutue wow
That's the first time I've seen that
I am a massive lee fan
Thanks for sharing mate
London next ?
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 02:21:25 pm »

Fantastic vid john
But do you know what I like best was the Bruce stutue wow
That's the first time I've seen that
I am a massive lee fan
Thanks for sharing mate
London next ?

Glad you liked that. Smiley I almost didn't include it in the video. Smiley
Darth Nuno

Dr Pepper inside...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2014, 03:58:31 pm »

Great trip!

My favorite cabinet showed in the first 'arcade room' was the Taito one... a kind of rhythm game based on Space Invaders? That's the one I would tried!  Tongue

John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2014, 04:32:26 pm »

Great trip!

My favorite cabinet showed in the first 'arcade room' was the Taito one... a kind of rhythm game based on Space Invaders? That's the one I would tried!  Tongue

That was my favorite too. It's called Rhythm Invader. It's also available on iOS and called Groove Coaster! Smiley
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: