John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:05:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Zoo Keeper hates me all day  (Read 1937 times)
DrEric
« on: October 20, 2016, 10:18:02 am »

Hey folks,

Been working on this Zoo Keeper and here is what I know.

All ribbon cables swapped
Reflowed .156 pins
4116 all swapped
New PS
Rebuilt the monitor

And I still get all video board lights blinking constantly. After a few minutes, this shows up on screen.  Could use some direction!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 11:12:06 am »

play with the reset button and the coin door. I had a lot of trouble getting my game to boot initially. also, did you install the coin bypass rom? Turn on game with coin door open then play with reset on PCB. Battery on PCB?

http://arcarc.xmission.com/Arcade%20by%20Title/Zoo%20Keeper/Info_%20How%20to%20run%20Zookeeper%20without%20the%20coin%20processor%20board.txt
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 11:34:12 am by John's Arcade » Logged
DrEric
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 11:55:12 am »

Yes, sorry - so many things done.

New coin door eprom installed and recharge battery installed off the board. I think my reset switch is stuck or corroded, so it doesn't push in any more. I'm going to drowned it in contact cleaner or get a new one. Any recommendations on replacements is greatly appreciated.

DrEric
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 12:18:51 pm »

Ok, so now I get all LEDs lit, which was pointing at u45, swapped out the 4116 again, then it tells me u15. So...I turned it off and on, just to check. All LEDs on solid. I do get a rolling screen; looks like this...

Any thoughts?

John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 12:41:30 pm »

Did you reseat ribbon cables?

These boards suck. IT's just a lot of fiddling.

Remember too... you could have bad RAM sockets also.

Are you getting +5 and -5 to the 4116s?
DrEric
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 12:24:26 pm »

I put in new ribbon cables and reflowed the connectors on the board. I will start measuring chips at this point. Ugh

DrEric
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 10:54:18 am »

Although bitter sweet, I made a choice on this Zoo Keeper. Though attempts were made and major time was spent, I feel failed - can't get it working.

The pros: I kept all of the original components as is.

Cons: I got to a point where I wasn't enjoying the process of constant non working troubleshooting; so I made a choice. I feel defeated, but at this point, I am ok with what I do have.

Choice: sell or enhance? Enhance! I installed a TAITO JROK and adapter from arcade shop to help keep all things orig. easy to install (and uninstall), this creating a functional game. Call it defeat or agility...I am happy that it plays what I wanted it to play.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: