John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:52:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: the 5 stages of restoration grief  (Read 3647 times)
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2015, 01:26:51 pm »

Hopefully you guys get a laugh out of this.

Stage 1 Denial

I didn't overspend! It doesn't have more issues than things that work! I CAN FIX IT!!!

Stage 2 Anger

GRRRRR WHY WONT THIS @#$% MOTHER @^(#*@iNG THING WORK?!

Stage 3 Bargaining

I SWEAR TO GOD ill give you my lifes savings if you'll just fix this @#%$ board!

Stage 4 Depression

oh my god why!!! why have the restoration gods forsaken me! I cannot get this thing to work!

Stage 5 Acceptance

ok it doesn't look perfect, it has ciggarette burns on it, theres enough rust to give everyone in town tinnitus but @#$% it, i finally got it to work!

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
jtslade

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 08:40:36 pm »

Hey even the ones you have to overpay on are saved from the Frankenstein-MAMErs and the people who will trash them. It's all worth it in the end..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lesoleil70

zaccaria.co.uk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 10:52:06 am »

6: What is that white powder everywhere - is that bad for my health?

7: What does this pot/knob/button do? BANG!

8: Panic and check forums - find a smug smiling avatar from a man called Ken Layton that knows more about monitors than you on a thread that makes no sense, but it appears to be the language called English.  This avatar can be found on every thread on KLOV, there infact is no exception, he is everywhere and knows everything about everything on every thread, it's frankly a wonder of modern nature.  I have no problem with this very knowledgeable and helpful man, but I always think he's smiling at me because he knows something I don't, and that makes by bum hairs itch a little when I read....but after the 10th read....oh I get it....and the knowing smile looks like a nodding wink - well done Ken!.

9: Look up flip/flop   people keep mentioning a flip flop, my choice of shoes is nobody's business.

10: Consider quitting the hobby, look at the mess in the house.

11: Watch a John's arcade weekly video, get the bug all over again and go back to step 1.

"We don't give the fuck, what the fuck you think of this shit, alright!" - Jacobsen, J. "Arcade Outsiders Ep. 56" http://media.libsyn.com/media/vgo/arcade_out_ep_56.mp3 (12/02/14)
Kamshaft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 06:00:48 pm »

I'm going through the same thing with my Neogeo cab. 

--
Owner of Colecovisionaddict.com
Graphic Designer
twitter: @therealkamshaft
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 09:12:35 pm »

I'm going through the same thing with my Neogeo cab. 

yeah you know its bad when you've got a photo of the side taped on the front just to remind you what it SHOULD look like !

6: What is that white powder everywhere - is that bad for my health?

7: What does this pot/knob/button do? BANG!

8: Panic and check forums - find a smug smiling avatar from a man called Ken Layton that knows more about monitors than you on a thread that makes no sense, but it appears to be the language called English.  This avatar can be found on every thread on KLOV, there infact is no exception, he is everywhere and knows everything about everything on every thread, it's frankly a wonder of modern nature.  I have no problem with this very knowledgeable and helpful man, but I always think he's smiling at me because he knows something I don't, and that makes by bum hairs itch a little when I read....but after the 10th read....oh I get it....and the knowing smile looks like a nodding wink - well done Ken!.

9: Look up flip/flop   people keep mentioning a flip flop, my choice of shoes is nobody's business.

10: Consider quitting the hobby, look at the mess in the house.

11: Watch a John's arcade weekly video, get the bug all over again and go back to step 1.

The white powder is just an illegal substance, the mystery object that can be pushed or turned is likely just the self destruct button, he's knowledgeable and also probably watching us here... smiling..... his pearly teeth perfect, so perfect they reflect light in a dark room..... flip/flops are none of my business, quitting the hobby i haven't even started yet XD

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
VertexGuy
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 02:17:43 am »

Or having to buy replacement parts......... all of them

https://youtu.be/iJjGAqQqH3k
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: