John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:12:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Came for the arcade, stayed for the spaghetti  (Read 9866 times)
ybr

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2015, 10:47:51 pm »

Just wanted to say thank you for the "Sunday Spaghetti" video.  Awesome.  Flew right up the ranks to one of my top things-to-cook-on-a-weekly-basis after one serving.  Your family taught you well.

And I didn't even have the spiral slicer gizmo for the zucchini so I went with standard pasta (maybe next time).  But I followed everything else to a tee.  The sauce, meatballs, the herbs.  Oh man. 

If you have any more of those up your sleeve, I'm waitin'.
knaagi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 01:02:25 am »

My wife wanted a spiral cutter after watching this. It´s going to be used the first time for todays lunch.

"Mach schnell, Dummkopf!"
ybr

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 01:48:51 pm »

Hope the lunch worked out.

I ordered one too.  I'm curious to see how the zucchini works out.  Of course, that sauce could make muddy shoelaces taste good.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 05:49:34 pm »

Just wanted to say thank you for the "Sunday Spaghetti" video.  Awesome.  Flew right up the ranks to one of my top things-to-cook-on-a-weekly-basis after one serving.  Your family taught you well.

And I didn't even have the spiral slicer gizmo for the zucchini so I went with standard pasta (maybe next time).  But I followed everything else to a tee.  The sauce, meatballs, the herbs.  Oh man. 

That's awesome!! Glad you enjoyed it! Did you do it exactly the same? That truly is how I make it every week. Yum! Smiley

Yeah, if you wanna not do low-carb just use real pasta. Same sauce recipe. And of course you can use Ground Beef instead of Turkey. Otherwise, it's all the same!
knaagi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 03:19:05 am »

We used ground beef because both of us are beef lovers. Making the meat with parmesan was new to us. It tastes great. For the spaghetti my wife added some carrot spirals to the zucchini ones and for our sauces we always use (cheap) wine instead of water. This dish will be definitely added to our list.

"Mach schnell, Dummkopf!"
Danny Ogg

Hi im Dan from Sweden!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 05:02:07 am »

I liked the "kitchen epi". I don't eat red meat, so im gonna try the recipe as is. Do you have a link for a company or website that sells those "zuchini grates".
ybr

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 10:21:43 am »

That's awesome!! Glad you enjoyed it! Did you do it exactly the same? That truly is how I make it every week. Yum! Smiley

Yeah, if you wanna not do low-carb just use real pasta. Same sauce recipe. And of course you can use Ground Beef instead of Turkey. Otherwise, it's all the same!

Pretty close.  I couldn't find the cans of Scalfani so I just went with Hunts or whatever.  But otherwise it was just as you showed.

I use a recipe app called Paprika and keyed your recipe in as I watched the video.  Otherwise I'd never remember everything and would screw my 2nd attempt up royally.  If anyone wants the file I'd be happy to upload it.  It's got the list of ingredients, steps, etc.  Even a pic of your plate on the Patriots table as its icon. ;)
ybr

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 10:24:17 am »

I liked the "kitchen epi". I don't eat red meat, so im gonna try the recipe as is. Do you have a link for a company or website that sells those "zuchini grates".

I ordered this one.  Haven't tried it yet though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J19AR7W/
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 05:53:51 pm »

I ordered this one.  Haven't tried it yet though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J19AR7W/

This is the one I have. I'm sure either one is a good choice:

http://www.amazon.com/Veggetti-Spiral-Vegetable-Slicer-Veggie/dp/B00IIVRB3W/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1428792807&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=zuchinne+spaghetti+as+seen+on+tv
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 05:57:23 pm »

Just wanted to say thank you for the "Sunday Spaghetti" video.  Awesome.  Flew right up the ranks to one of my top things-to-cook-on-a-weekly-basis after one serving.  Your family taught you well.

And I didn't even have the spiral slicer gizmo for the zucchini so I went with standard pasta (maybe next time).  But I followed everything else to a tee.  The sauce, meatballs, the herbs.  Oh man.  

Pretty close.  I couldn't find the cans of Scalfani so I just went with Hunts or whatever.  But otherwise it was just as you showed.

I use a recipe app called Paprika and keyed your recipe in as I watched the video.  Otherwise I'd never remember everything and would screw my 2nd attempt up royally.  If anyone wants the file I'd be happy to upload it.  It's got the list of ingredients, steps, etc.  Even a pic of your plate on the Patriots table as its icon. ;)

You should seek out the Italian brand tomatoes with Basil added. I usually buy the one that says "Quick Crushed". Hunts isn't right. Smiley

I'd love to see the text of the recipe steps! Would be cool. Can you post that here?
ybr

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 06:35:58 pm »

You should seek out the Italian brand tomatoes with Basil added. I usually buy the one that says "Quick Crushed". Hunts isn't right. Smiley

I'd love to see the text of the recipe steps! Would be cool. Can you post that here?

Haha re Hunts.  Agreed.  I'm gonna make it my mission to find the Scalfani somewhere.  I'm curious to taste the difference now.

Here's the recipe sans formatting.  I'd appreciate any corrections, enhancements, etc.

John's Kitchen - Sunday Spaghetti Gravy Sauce - Low carb w/ Meatballs & Italian Sausage
★★★★★
Cook Time: 3.5 hours | Servings: 4 | Difficulty: Medium

Ingredients:

meatball mixture:

1 lb ground turkey (93% lean, 7% fat)
1-2 eggs
1 cup of parmesan cheese (use more or less to achieve desired consistency)
3-4 cloves of minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
pepper and salt to taste
note -- you can use breadcrumbs too if you're not concerned about carbs

sausage:

store-made chicken Italian sausage, qty 5

sauce:

2-3 28 oz cans of Scalfani quick crushed tomatoes with basil leaf (or reasonable facsimile thereof)
6-9 cups of water
3-4 cloves of minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
8 or so chopped basil leaves

zucchini noodles:

1-2 zucchinis per serving (not necessary to peel them)

Directions:

Meatballs and sausage

1.  Combine meatball ingredients in bowl and mix thoroughly.  Achieve a thick enough consistency to form .

2.  Shape meatballs by hand, golfball size, and begin browning them in a skillet with olive oil on medium-high heat.  We're just browning them in this step.  They will fully cook later in the sauce.  Periodically flip/turn them for even browning.

3.  While meatballs are browning, begin browning the sausages in a separate skillet with olive oil on medium-high.  Turn them periodically for even browning on both sides.  Be careful not to break the casings.

Sauce

4.  Add a good amount of olive oil to the bottom of the sauce pot and set on medium heat.  Add pepper along with minced garlic.  Brown the garlic in the oil but do not burn it.  Stir quickly.

5.  Add tomatoes.

6.  Add water.  Use tomato cans to measure roughly 1 can of water per can of tomatoes used.

7.  Raise temperature to high heat and bring to boil.  Stir occasionally to ensure there's no burning or sticking to the bottom of the pot.

8.  Once the sauce is boiling, or close to it, add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda.  This reduces the acidity of the tomatoes.  Be careful not to let the sauce boil over after adding the baking soda.

9.  At the start of the boil, add sausages and meatballs to sauce.

10.  Continue boiling for 10 minutes.  Stir occasionally to prevent burning.

11.  Lower heat to medium-low and allow to simmer for roughly 3 hours.  Stir every 15 minutes or so.  Keep simmering and string until sauce is reduced to the desired thickness.

12.  During the last hour of simmering add salt to taste.

Zucchini noodles (once the sauce is done)

13.  Cut zucchini noodles with spiral slicer.

14.  Fry zucchini noodles in pan with olive oil.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Cook for about 10 minutes.  Don't over do it or they'll get mushy.

15.  Strain zucchini noodles to remove excess moisture.

16.  Add parsley and basil to sauce right before serving.  Never oregano; that's for pizza sauce, .

Plate zucchini noodles with sauce, a meatball or two, a sausage, and serve!

Notes: "In this episode of John's Kitchen, I'll show you how to make my homemade spaghetti gravy and meatballs. We'll also cook up some store bought chicken Italian sausage and make low-carb zuchinni noodles. Mangia!"

He talked about using pork neck bones as a base for the sauce.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miu7BXRqpqg&spfreload=10

Sent from Paprika Recipe Manager. http://www.paprikaapp.com
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 03:20:14 pm by John's Arcade » Logged
thegleek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 08:38:06 pm »

I'm gonna make it my mission to find the Scalfani somewhere.  I'm curious to taste the difference now.
Wasn't all that hard to find...

http://www.sclafanifoods.com/products.php?category_id=1156&product_id=11281

$3.99 per can. I ordered 4 cans + $10 S&H, which isn't bad for the weight! Smiley
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 03:21:50 pm »

I fixed this recipe. It was wrong.

It said 1-2 tablespoons of Baking Soda. That's WAY too much!

I only put a dash of it in. Probably 1/4 TEASPOON.

Someone made the sauce using this recipe and said it wasn't good because the baking soda overpowered the flavor.

You shouldn't taste the baking soda! Just a little bit is all it takes! You just want to knock down the acidity of the tomatoes. You should NEVER taste the baking soda, EVER!
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 03:25:08 pm »

I'm gonna make it my mission to find the Scalfani somewhere.  I'm curious to taste the difference now.
Wasn't all that hard to find...

http://www.sclafanifoods.com/products.php?category_id=1156&product_id=11281

$3.99 per can. I ordered 4 cans + $10 S&H, which isn't bad for the weight! Smiley

That's not a bad !
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 04:29:27 pm »

All I'm going to say is because of that video I went out and bought my wife a Vegettie for her birthday. She loves it, and we both love the zucchini pasta. Thanks John!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: