John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 14, 2024, 05:50:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: looking for a xxx in 1 card  (Read 2926 times)
lojack

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2014, 11:27:19 am »

hi all

i am looking for a xxx in 1 card.  but here is the catch.  i would like to play both vert games and horizontal on the same system.  I have a 25" med res horizontal monitor. Oh and it should be able to work on a med res monitor.  all the ones that  i have seen state hor or vert monitor.  and usually standard res.  is there maybe another piece of the puzzle that i need? 

thanks
lojack

vids: MKI-IV, KI 1&2, Cocktail centipede, Street Fighter 2, Space Invaders Deluxe, Asteroids Deluxe, Tekken 4&5 and Soul Calibur 2
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 12:08:11 pm »

the only difference between a horizontal monitor and a vertical one is how its put in the cab. The only thing that makes a horizontal multi game different than a vertical one is which way the text is on the menu. If you can stand to play the game sideways ether will work just fine. If you want the vertical games to be played "vertically" on your horizontal monitor you might have to read more into the documentation for the multigames as I don't know if any will do that. Maybe you should consider making your own mame computer since there aren't many games that support medium res.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
lojack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 02:18:29 pm »

thanks  i was thinking that mame would be my only solution.  i was hoping for an easy fix

vids: MKI-IV, KI 1&2, Cocktail centipede, Street Fighter 2, Space Invaders Deluxe, Asteroids Deluxe, Tekken 4&5 and Soul Calibur 2
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 02:42:57 pm »

hi all

i am looking for a xxx in 1 card.  but here is the catch.  i would like to play both vert games and horizontal on the same system.  I have a 25" med res horizontal monitor. Oh and it should be able to work on a med res monitor.  all the ones that  i have seen state hor or vert monitor.  and usually standard res.  is there maybe another piece of the puzzle that i need? 

thanks
lojack

order both a horiz, and vert board and while your at it order the 2 board switcher.
from hollandcomputers.com
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 02:45:32 pm »

That will probably cost more money than an old pc and an jpac

STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 02:53:30 pm »

I think its only like 50 bux for the switcher , even ian can afford that.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 02:56:14 pm »

he doesn't have ether of the multi boards so he would need two. which easily cost more than a Jpac.

STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 11:27:25 pm »

he doesn't have ether of the multi boards so he would need two. which easily cost more than a Jpac.

yeah but he said he don't want mame
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 08:45:28 am »

yeah but he said he don't want mame

He didn't say he never wanted mame, he was just hoping for an easy solution. Maybe he is intimidated by setting up mame.

BloodyCactus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 09:23:04 am »

thanks  i was thinking that mame would be my only solution.  i was hoping for an easy fix

as long as you realise these XXX in 1 boards _ARE_ mame. they run mame inside. really old versions, on shit slow old ARM chips.

youd be better off just using mame on a pc.

--/\-[ A Pin Guy ]-/\--
lojack

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 12:35:10 pm »

well here is a long story made short.  Gotta games family 3000 in 1 system.  it spent more time in shipping going back and forth from where i bought it than actually working. hence the headache.  HD works, system says hardware issue.  so with my frustrations i was hoping to find a simple xxxx in 1 card to plug in.  I have looked into building a mame since at that point i would know how to build and trouble shoot the issue.  The HD from the Games family works.  So i have all the ROMS but the intimidating part is setting up hyperspin and all of the other software that goes with it.  The tutorials are not up to date.  So building a mame is somewhat intimidating without a guide.  if there is a complete up to date step by step tutorial out there, let me know  i would be a very happy camper.

thanks
lojack

offset

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 12:41:48 pm »

I've debated the whole MAME vs xxx-in-1 kits, for myself, I can setup Mame no issues and be happy with it.  But... I make sure I wire the cabinet with a Jamma adapter and dont hack up any existing wiring or control panel (molex connectors are great for this), so that in the future, if I need to sell the game, I just throw in a xxx-in-1 kit (ie. 412-in-1 Vertical, etc) so that a non-computer consumer will buy it, or if a collector wants to fully restore it, they can.  I dont want to be stuck with tech support in the future once I've sold it.    The price range that I buy cabinets, they usually are gutted and not much left, so at least the cabinet isnt going to a landfill somewhere.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: