John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 13, 2024, 04:14:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WG 9200 Went blind  (Read 3833 times)
Megmaster17

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2016, 07:05:23 pm »

So my WG 9200 that is in my 2005 Golden T Died. Starting the trouble shoot. It has power and the neck starts to glow blue toward the tube but is kind of buzzing and arcing inside. Never glows orange. I can hear the game and it sounds fine. Responds to pressing buttons. The manual says no monitor could be LW105, LW108 and or IC201. Any Ideas? Cap Kit, Flyback, HOT? Thx

Original Pacman, Pole Position, Multicade by ArcadeSD, Target Terror, Megatouch EVO 2014, PacMan Cocktail, Ms. PacMan Cocktail, SuperHang On, , Golden Tee Complete, 1978 World Cup Pinball, Rush the Rock, Ivan Stewart Off Road
kcase01

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 09:32:49 am »

It sounds like either the flyback is bad or the coating around the tube is missing or damaged. If you can post pictures of the action, you will get more people responding.
Megmaster17

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 03:36:19 pm »

I finally got around to pulling the beast out. I checked a few transistors and found one that may be bad. K2676
https://imgur.com/a/CuGf0

I've been told cap kit likely is not the problem when blind.

Original Pacman, Pole Position, Multicade by ArcadeSD, Target Terror, Megatouch EVO 2014, PacMan Cocktail, Ms. PacMan Cocktail, SuperHang On, , Golden Tee Complete, 1978 World Cup Pinball, Rush the Rock, Ivan Stewart Off Road
HarrieD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 07:42:04 am »

You must set your multimeter to diode testing. Normal resistor testing tests with too low voltage rendering your measurements invalid.

My blog / pinball collection

Restoration projects: Fire!, Outrun
Good friends: Funhouse, Whirlwind, Earthshaker, BTTF, Seeburg V200, Neo Geo cab
Left the building: F14 Tomcat, Independence Day
Megmaster17

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 08:08:54 am »

Oops, let me do that again and report back. Thx Grin

Megmaster17

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 02:47:54 pm »

Ok I was able to retest the correct way. You guys think this one needs replaced? Could this be the lone culprit? If not, next to check?
https://imgur.com/a/mY3K3

HarrieD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 04:32:00 am »

Don't exactly know what you are measuring. A transistor must always be measured in 6 directions: B to E, E to B, B to C, C to B, C to E and E to C.
2 directions must have 0.4 to 0.7 (forwarding voltage) and one must be the added value of those 2 measurements (0.8 to 1.4). Preferably the transistor must be removed but the measurement can be a good indication of what is going on.

Another tip: if the value of your measurement is running higher and higher this indicates that a capacitor is in that circuit.

So, do a capkit, swap that HOT.

Is it possible to post a picture of the schematics you are using?

My blog / pinball collection

Restoration projects: Fire!, Outrun
Good friends: Funhouse, Whirlwind, Earthshaker, BTTF, Seeburg V200, Neo Geo cab
Left the building: F14 Tomcat, Independence Day
Megmaster17

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 05:46:39 am »

Good feedback, thank you. here are the schematics http://www.wellsgardner.com/pdf/Schematics/D9204_D9205_Schematics.pdf

Megmaster17

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 07:20:44 pm »

Ordered a cap kit from Syracuse semi conductors and a HOT. I will install and report back.

Megmaster17

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 09:30:45 pm »

I did the full cap kit and HOT. No picture. Neck tube is buzzing and color is blue, not the normal orange glow. Almost looks like it is arcing in there. A little lightening storm. Can that piece be replaced? I guess it is the yoke or neck tube. On the other side of the neck plate.

Megmaster17

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 09:40:41 pm »

I just read something that accurately describes my problem. You think it could be true?

Busted TubePhysical Damage

Unfortunately, while picture tubes have extremely thick glass on the face, the necks on the back are actually pretty fragile, and the open-frame design of arcade monitors leave the neck unprotected and prone to being broken. Once this happens, air enters the tube (with a hissing sound), and the tube is trash. Sometimes if you can't tell its been broken, you will see or hear a blue glow or high voltage arc inside the neck when the monitor is powered on. If you see this, turn it off asap, as the tube is already bad and the arcing can potentially hurt the chassis or other nearby components if left on.

(Sadly, the day I started to write this article, I accidentally broke a tube on a monitor I was giving to a friend. A box bumped the neck board, and the ever-so-sorry "hisssss" sound announced its demise.

Megmaster17

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 08:45:59 pm »

Following up on this. The tube is bad. hooked up an Epson projector  to the VGA video card output. Works Great. You need 15-25khz monitor or tv to operate Golden Tee 2004 FORE.

Megmaster17

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2016, 12:15:14 pm »

Final note on this, for anyone looking to run a large monitor on an older Golden Tee. Newer TV will not work running 60khz. I ended up using a Hitachi 42" plasma computer monitor that runs 25khz horizontal that I found on Craigslist for $100. Took a small amount of adjusting but looks great. Hope this helps others.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: