John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 13, 2024, 04:34:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CRT problem, large pixelation - Rolling Thunder (Photo included)  (Read 2890 times)
cltamt

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2015, 07:49:06 pm »

Hi folks,

New to this forum and had a question. I just picked up an Atari Rolling Thunder full size video game for practically nothing for a first-time game restoration project. Plugging it in - the monitor fires up but the image is broken up with large pixelated dots about the size of dimes, or a little smaller. It looks like a jigsaw puzzle with about 50% of the pieces missing! All the CRT colors appear normal. There's no sound and depositing quarters had no effect. I'll post a picture of the image if someone will tell me how!

I haven't had a chance to clean any connectors, test the power supply, or inspect for cold solder joints yet but was hoping someone had seen this issue before and could point me in the right direction. Could bad cap's cause this?

Speaking of which, can you guys recommend a place to purchase quality cap kits or any other parts I may need to restore this beast?

Thank you for your time!

Larry  Smiley

Okay - I think I figured it out. Here's a link to the CRT image... http://imgur.com/gallery/aRfPwx1

« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 09:14:12 am by cltamt » Logged
jtslade

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 08:04:33 pm »

Post a video .. Upload to Flickr or you tube or viemo or somewhere and share the link

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jtslade

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 08:04:59 pm »

Check power 1st

cltamt

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 09:06:04 pm »

Post a video .. Upload to Flickr or you tube or viemo or somewhere and share the link

I just have a picture I took with my cell phone. How do I post it?
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 09:16:11 am »

post it to imgur.com and then post the bbcode here

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
cltamt

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 09:24:02 am »

post it to imgur.com and then post the bbcode here

I just updated the post. I think it worked!

Thank you verrry much!

Larry
jtslade

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 04:37:05 pm »

Board PCB memory rom issue, are any of the chips on the PCB crazy hot to the touch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 10:12:33 am »

Yeah that looks like the game is just dead. I would check the eproms. reseat them, maybe do a rom dump and check if you know someone with a burner.

cltamt

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 09:47:01 am »

Hi guys,

Sorry it took so long to get back in touch and respond but I wanted everyone to know what I found and how I repaired it just in case someone stumbles upon this post and has the same problem.

You both were right! After posting and watching 'John's Arcade' videos I learned Ian Kellogg actually had quality cap kits so I ordered a kit for the power supple since the voltages were off and it wouldn't respond to adjustments.

After re-capping I powered it up and the sound was now working but the picture was completely different, though still scrambled and pixelated. As suggested, I removed all the ROM's, I cleaned the sockets with Deoxit, and lightly burnished the pins and re-installed.

Plugged everything back in and it works like a champ!

By the way, before finding Ian Kelloggs' cap kits I had ordered a kit and flyback from another supplier (TRBR) for the K7000 but I haven't install it yet since it's working so well. That's the next weekend project! But from now on I'll contact Ian first. He was a lot easier to get in touch with and no need to mail out checks, so you can pay electronically. Plus nice quality parts!

Thanks Ian - and for responding!   Grin

iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 02:54:16 pm »

That's awesome!! Glad it was a relatively simple fix!

As for the flyback, keep that as a spare. No reason to replace what isn't broken.

cltamt

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 06:15:08 pm »

That's awesome!! Glad it was a relatively simple fix!

As for the flyback, keep that as a spare. No reason to replace what isn't broken.

Roger that - thanks Ian!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: