John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 14, 2024, 10:50:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Polo Position 1/2  (Read 3417 times)
zds76

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2014, 03:28:38 pm »

I would like to one day get one of these but I have seen several people complain that they can be very picky and act up. Is there any truth to that and why would a PP have more issues than any other game. If I do look at getting one. If you have one is there anything I should look for when picking up one. Are there any signs to "Danger Stay Away"?
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 07:13:56 am »

from my own experience with pole position the biggest problem is the shitty edge connector+ AR2. First order of business is to run jumper wires between EVERY test point on the board for power and ground. Once that is out of the way you will probably run into a TON of ram errors. 2114 ram is kind of shitty and likes to go bad but the game tells you exactly which ram chip is bad which makes it easy. You might run into some issues with the namco custom chips which are more difficult to figure out but the chips are not terribly hard to find on ebay. Its completely worth owning one though, don't let the haters scare you away.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 08:51:16 am »

from my own experience with pole position the biggest problem is the shitty edge connector+ AR2. First order of business is to run jumper wires between EVERY test point on the board for power and ground. Once that is out of the way you will probably run into a TON of ram errors. 2114 ram is kind of shitty and likes to go bad but the game tells you exactly which ram chip is bad which makes it easy. You might run into some issues with the namco custom chips which are more difficult to figure out but the chips are not terribly hard to find on ebay. Its completely worth owning one though, don't let the haters scare you away.

+1! Don't listen to the haters and doom and gloom gang. It's a game worth owning! And, if Adam can finish his multi-PP board then you'll be all set forever.
zds76

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 10:15:28 am »

+1! Don't listen to the haters and doom and gloom gang. It's a game worth owning! And, if Adam can finish his multi-PP board then you'll be all set forever.

I have seen some stuff on adam working on that PPmulti board. But I have not seen any time line as to when its projected to be finished? Any ideas John?
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 10:45:42 am »

I have seen some stuff on adam working on that PPmulti board. But I have not seen any time line as to when its projected to be finished? Any ideas John?

If we're lucky.... Christmas.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 10:50:53 am by John's Arcade » Logged
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 10:58:11 am »

Not to knock Adam in any way because I look up to him as the smartest person I have seen. But considering he just started working on porting it to the arcade fpga I'm not confident of it happening this christmas. He still has to finish the porting and at least two prototype boards before it will be ready.

ajcrm125

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 11:53:13 am »

Agreed. Laying out the PCB and having them fabbed will take some time as well.  I can see potentially getting the prototypes done by Christmas but I doubt the production run would be finished by then.  Also note this will be for Pole Position 1/2. I can create custom graphics roms for "Polo" Position... but I'll have to charge extra.  Grin  Grin  Grin

-Adam
zds76

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 11:57:29 am »

Shocked Polo  Roll Eyes My bad. You cant edit the subject.  Cry

Agreed. Laying out the PCB and having them fabbed will take some time as well.  I can see potentially getting the prototypes done by Christmas but I doubt the production run would be finished by then.  Also note this will be for Pole Position 1/2. I can create custom graphics roms for "Polo" Position... but I'll have to charge extra.  Grin  Grin  Grin
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 10:11:19 pm »

I've been watching what he's doing too. I don't have a pole postion yet but I want one and I know the best way to fix the edge connector problem is with Adams new board.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 10:26:47 pm »

the edge connector is by far the least of the issues pole position has.

John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 11:09:53 pm »

the edge connector is by far the least of the issues pole position has.

Not really.
zds76

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 05:38:24 pm »

Picked up my my POLO position yesterday. Had the power supplies rebuilt only problem seems to be the edge connector accornding to the owner. but $240 I felt it was a good buy. Monitor was capped runs good. I hope to be moving to a new house middle of summer and will do the power mod. Thx John for the excellent video. Was playing it last night and even my 10 year old daughter was having fun with it.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 05:45:20 pm »

then doing the power mod will be a fantastic thing to do. No worries about having to fix it first!

I recommend doing something for quick disconnect in the event you ever need to get the board out of the cab. I use old hard drive power connectors that I cut and soldered unto the board.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: