John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:26:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pole Position - FARM FRESH! Questions!!  (Read 8099 times)
Netropolis

@netropolis on Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2015, 12:32:33 am »

WELL after pulling, cleaning and reseating every chip on the board, assuring the power to each board was perfect, and other general Arcade trouble shooting...
I have thrown in the towel on Pole Position...  I am sending it to Eldorado!  I called and they fellow there sighed when I said "Pole Position" - So I guess the legends are true the PP is REALLY hard to keep running.  I tell you as soon as that PPClone that Adam is creating is available for anyone to buy...  Working original board or not, I am ordering one!

I will post an update when Eldorado sends it back and I get her up and racing!

1979 Atari Asteroids
1980 Midway Pac-Man (TOTAL Restoration Needed)
1981 Midway Galaga
1982 Atari Pole Position
1986 Atari Championship Sprint
1986 Williams Pin*Bot Pinball
1987 Atari Badlands
1988 Atari Tetris/19-1 Multi-Cade
60-1  DK Jr Cabinet
2002 Hanabi Japanese Slot Machine
mrdude

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2015, 08:17:02 am »

Good luck! I had errors too and it ended up being a bad socket for one of the Z80 processors on the CPU board. 
Netropolis

@netropolis on Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2015, 12:15:11 pm »

UPDATE:
I was contacted the next day by an Arcade HOARDER.  He has a WAREHOUSE FULL of arcades, pin's, a corvette, a mustang and a Jaguar! 

The same fellow posted an ad and is apparently looking to unload his entire warehouse full of stuff.
I contacted him, he remembered our Pole Position sale, and I am setting up a time to go take a look at the whole place.
At the time I had blinders on for Pole Position so beyond that one machine I didn't look too carefully at anything else.

I asked him about a few 'grail type' games but he can't even remember what he has in there.
So wish me luck - a real warehouse raid!!    I hope I do better than John did during that one where he made off with a water damaged $25 Ms Pac...
I wonder what he did with that.

1979 Atari Asteroids
1981 Midway Galaga
1982 Atari Pole Position
1987 Atari Badlands
60-1  DK Jr Cabinet
Netropolis

@netropolis on Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2015, 09:36:25 pm »

Well it was slim pickins...
there wasn’t much there, lots of Jamma-ized games not even KLOV has ever heard of - no interesting cabs of note lots of empties.
plus a ton of Skeeball and punching bag games... a REALLY nice Jaguar, a 77 Vette and a 80's mustang.
this caught my eye - I already have it's ugly younger sister - Badlands.  But this is the one I have always wanted!

It has water damage near the bottom, I am going to have to cut and replace some sections - but I am not too worried about that part.
the PCB's not working is what scares me.  Fingers crossed that after I pull and clean all the legs on all the chips that she fires up!  Ok "fire" is a bad choice of words.

Without Further Adieu...  I present Atari's Championship Sprint.

1979 Atari Asteroids
1981 Midway Galaga
1982 Atari Pole Position
1987 Atari Badlands
60-1  DK Jr Cabinet
yocke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2015, 04:20:44 am »

Nice find, don't look so bad, how about inside the cab!!

Love this game!
Keep it up!
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2015, 07:43:52 am »

Hope it works out of the box for you. That is a huge boardset, and sadly likely not going to work Sad
Monitor probably won't work either Sad
BUT, i really hope it does. that is one of my favorite games of all time.

Reseat everything, including the board to boards. The power supplies that are used in those games have a lot of really bad quality caps. The good news is they are switchers and easy to replace with new stuff.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
Netropolis

@netropolis on Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2015, 08:37:40 am »

The Cabinet was ROTTEN!!!  From about shin down - but like you this is my all time favourite.
I ended up removing everything - labeling every wire at both ends so I can pit it back together.
I cut 2 feet off the bottom of the cab, and recreated everything from scratch. 

I didn't bother 'doweling' EVERYTHING back together, I did a few parts but I also used screws. 
I was SHOCKED to discover when I put the back door back on, the cabinet was SQUARE!  WOW.
Right now it looks pretty rough with the screws and the seam where the old meets new.
After I bondo the seams and screws and paint and add the T-molding I am certain it will look great.

There was NO power supply in the cab - the board looks VERY clean - but I am going to be pulling and cleaning every leg on every chip...
the monitor is a big Wells Gardner - not sure if that's factory or not. 

I am determined to get it going!!  The Seller said, it did actually work not too too long ago but he pulled the PS to get another game going that he liked better - I will take that with a hopeful grain of salt. 

I will post all the pics I have taken when I get the bondo going bc right now it looks pretty amateur hour.
FINGERS CROSSED.

1979 Atari Asteroids
1981 Midway Galaga
1982 Atari Pole Position
1987 Atari Badlands
60-1  DK Jr Cabinet
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2015, 08:42:10 am »

Originally it should have been a K4900 medium res or I think there is another medium res that was used but I dont know what it is off hand. If the game worked then that is a great sign. Get a switcher and get it going!

Just a thing, I would replace the power supply and maybe give it a go. If it looks clean don't risk breaking anything!

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
Netropolis

@netropolis on Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2015, 08:57:01 am »

Yes!!! That's the plan I am going to get a switching PS, give it a whirl first...
I will start pulling and cleaning IF I get any issues.  There is not a single burn on either board I thought that was a feature on all Atari boards!  Smiley
The monitor looks good too - dirty but good.  I am going to use my compressor and blow off the dust first.
a few days I will have a thumbs up...  or a thread begging for direction!  Smiley

1979 Atari Asteroids
1981 Midway Galaga
1982 Atari Pole Position
1987 Atari Badlands
60-1  DK Jr Cabinet
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: