John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:44:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Atari 600XL  (Read 2399 times)
airsoftmodels

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2014, 11:29:19 am »

John,

I really enjoyed your videos featuring the Atari 800XL.  I just picked up an Atari 600XL on ebay.  When I had my last 600XL back in '83, I mostly played cartridge games. Do you have any favorite cartridge games for the Atari 8 bit? 

-Peace out.
airsoftmodels

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 10:15:22 pm »

Update:

The Atari 600xl arrived this morning.  Although it boots, it locks up when running a simple GOTO loop.  Memory tests reveal a bad rom.  I looked at AtariAge online and it could be the 6502C CPU or the 16K OS rom.  I ordered both from B&C Computer Visions.  After watching John's Arcade Videos, I feel like I can comfortably remove chips with a screwdriver.  Wish me luck.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 09:19:27 am »

Update:

The Atari 600xl arrived this morning.  Although it boots, it locks up when running a simple GOTO loop.  Memory tests reveal a bad rom.  I looked at AtariAge online and it could be the 6502C CPU or the 16K OS rom.  I ordered both from B&C Computer Visions.  After watching John's Arcade Videos, I feel like I can comfortably remove chips with a screwdriver.  Wish me luck.

Awesome! Keep us updated. Smiley I hope the chips are socketed. ;)
airsoftmodels

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 05:19:16 pm »

Great News!  My 6502 and 16K OS ROM came today.  The chips were socketed, and pulled out fine with the screwdriver.  The new ones went in without a hitch, and everything works.  I have , Pac Man, Ms Pac Man, and Dig Dug coming in the mail.  Also, I hear you can use Genesis controllers in lieu of the Atari ones.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: