John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:08:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Donkey Kong Jr. Monitor Board  (Read 3424 times)
KongJunkie

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2014, 05:32:03 pm »

Hey Everyone!

I'm the new guy here, but I just bought my first arcade machine, and it needs some work. I picked up a Jr. on the cheap, but the monitor was getting rough (jail bars and faded colors, etc.). My friend runs an arcade and has fixed a number of machines himself, so I asked his advice, and he told me I needed a new cap kit for the monitor board. I did some searching online, and I've found videos (like John's) of people discharging and removing the monitor boards on other machines, but I've been told that Nintendo Sanyo 20 EZV boards are harder to remove. I'm beginning to see why.

I did order a cap kit, which I got in the mail today. I discharged the monitor (although it had been unplugged for weeks, so it didn't have any voltage - still, played it safe) and now I'm looking at this thing wondering just what to do next. Does anyone know of a good step-by-step instructional guide on how to remove the monitor board in my machine? Will I need to remove the monitor as well, or can I keep that in the cabinet?

Any and all help is well appreciated.

Jeff
lojack

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 07:04:21 pm »

welcome to the board.  first find a cap map online or the monitors manual online.
have to correct tools: solder, soldering iron, desoldering tool, and some patience.

caps have a neg and positive side.  the long leg is positive and the neg side is usually marked on the cap and also has a shorter leg.

put your caps in order and label them.

take your time.  watch a couple vids.  johns is pretty good.

do 1 at a time and check them off the list.   mark any that you think that you question yourself on. 

dont cut any legs until you have double checked all your work.

vids: MKI-IV, KI 1&2, Cocktail centipede, Street Fighter 2, Space Invaders Deluxe, Asteroids Deluxe, Tekken 4&5 and Soul Calibur 2
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 07:07:44 pm »

Hey Everyone!

I'm the new guy here, but I just bought my first arcade machine, and it needs some work. I picked up a Jr. on the cheap, but the monitor was getting rough (jail bars and faded colors, etc.). My friend runs an arcade and has fixed a number of machines himself, so I asked his advice, and he told me I needed a new cap kit for the monitor board. I did some searching online, and I've found videos (like John's) of people discharging and removing the monitor boards on other machines, but I've been told that Nintendo Sanyo 20 EZV boards are harder to remove. I'm beginning to see why.

I did order a cap kit, which I got in the mail today. I discharged the monitor (although it had been unplugged for weeks, so it didn't have any voltage - still, played it safe) and now I'm looking at this thing wondering just what to do next. Does anyone know of a good step-by-step instructional guide on how to remove the monitor board in my machine? Will I need to remove the monitor as well, or can I keep that in the cabinet?

Jeff

Take the monitor out of the game and put it on your desk. Then start unplugging everything and then get the monitor chassis (pcb) out.

Someday I'll do a video on 20EZs. I just haven't had to fix one in awhile.
Tighe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 09:17:23 pm »

Hey Everyone!

Jeff

Take the monitor out of the game and put it on your desk. Then start unplugging everything and then get the monitor chassis (pcb) out.

Someday I'll do a video on 20EZs. I just haven't had to fix one in awhile.

I did one:

http://youtu.be/ytCSLfk3DU4

And if your in for a long watch:

http://youtu.be/e91NybttYBg
KongJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 03:27:48 pm »

Thanks for the advice everyone. I installed the new cap kit today. It did seem to clear up the brightness and fading that appeared on screen, but the vertical lines are still there. Also, the screen appears to run off the sides of the monitor on both sides. Jr isn't even visible when you start up the game. Any ideas on what I can do to fix these ailments?
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 04:09:59 pm »

Thanks for the advice everyone. I installed the new cap kit today. It did seem to clear up the brightness and fading that appeared on screen, but the vertical lines are still there. Also, the screen appears to run off the sides of the monitor on both sides. Jr isn't even visible when you start up the game. Any ideas on what I can do to fix these ailments?

Post some photos. Sounds like you need to just adjust the monitor.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 04:29:30 pm »

Also I made a capmap for my kits
http://ian.minuetserver.com/capkits/Sanyo%2020EZ-V.pdf

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
KongJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 11:47:54 am »

It's fixed!!!

It was a matter of adjusting the V-Hold, H-Hold, V-Center, brightness and focus and I'm back in business. Restoration DONE! Well unless I want to fix the side art.

Thank you guys for your advice. I'm going to an arcade auction this Saturday to hopefully find Jr some company.

Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: