John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 12, 2024, 08:28:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Last weekend... picked up the POPEYE  (Read 3478 times)
computerfixerguy

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2014, 08:11:41 pm »

I preface this by saying thanks to John. YOU MADE THIS POSSIBLE. You found the game on craigslist and told me GET THIS MACHINE. So I took your advice and here is the story.

My only regret is that I don't have MORE pictures. Last weekend was the most enjoyable time I've spent with friends and family, mostly my brother, he rode with me to Elkhart.

We got on the road Saturday morning and headed out from Peoria Illinois to Elkhart Indiana. Solid 8 hours round trip. The drive was pleasant. We arrived on time and things were shall we say interesting at the house. We walked in the door and were greeted by a half dozen cats. Right then I thought great chance we will be leaving without a game. I'm not bringing home anything soaked in cat piss and clawed to hell and back.

Turns out he kept the game in a no-cats area. The thing has no odor. We lucked out. I noticed a lot of waviness and super white background on the monitor when the game plays. Something really didn't look right. The side art was also missing. I talked the guy down a few bucks and we loaded up the game and set out toward home.

The ride back was uneventful. We decided to stop at the last minute at the "America's Playable Arcade Museum" over in McLean Illinois. We stopped and played a few games, met the owner, showed him the game, and took a few pictures. The area open to the public is pretty small but it's clean and well done. The games he has out for display are in above average condition.

They have a nice little seating area if you want to hang out.

He has a great selection of popular pinball games in addition to the arcade games.

It's a pretty pleasant place to visit. He doesn't allow kids under 18 unless supervised by a parent or guardian.

We got back to home base and decided to unload the game. My nephew, who just got his learner's permit, really seemed to enjoy playing Popeye. We were hanging out playing the game until about 11 o'clock Saturday night and he randomly mentioned that he'd never seen the Blues Brothers movie. We couldn't allow that to stand so we ordered some pizza & wings and watched the extended R rated version together.

Remember that nasty wavy screen I mentioned earlier? I took a look around inside the game an immediately noticed a loose wire.

I plugged in this red guy:

And the picture immediately cleared up to THIS:

and THIS:

Now, I'm not going to go back and take a before picture on that display but let me tell you, it was pretty bad before. These two pictures are 100% better. That being said can anyone suggest what I should do as far as the monitor is concerned at this point? Should I adjust the b+ and do a full alignment then see how it looks? Does anyone know what the darkness on the left edges are from?

Anyhow here is the rest of the pictures. I pulled out the PCB and it looks like It's never been touched.

back:

and front butt of the board:

Last but not least here is the front of the game:

Bottom front:

And the coin mechs:

One final question I have about the mechs. He pointed out that they are brand new. He spent about $250 on them. Are the faces correct? Behind the door they're new and working.

Anyhow here is a link to the album: http://imgur.com/a/vxgMv#0

« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 08:14:50 pm by computerfixerguy » Logged
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 08:21:46 pm »

Looks GREAT! Nice story. Thanks for sharing. That arcade you stopped at looks REALLY sweet.

The coin mechs are not original. $250 for those is CRAZY TALK. I'd just leave them. You can get the Asahi Seiko mechs still, which is what they were originally. Maybe those are the same brand but different model?

That monitor problem is an odd one. Did you try adjusting the screen on the flyback to see if that darkness goes away?

Testing B+ is not a bad idea but I would also do a cap kit if it's all original. Just so you can rule that out.

Popeye is  a GREAT game. I do miss mine. Make sure you get the Brasington High Score Save kit.
UnwoundS3GA

I am otherwise known as Arcade Perfection

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 08:28:22 pm »

Popeye looks great! The other month, I picked up a Stargate cabinet and right when I walked into the previous owners house, the cat smell was horrible. Sadly, the game had really bad cat odor but no major scratches from the cats. I took the game. Threw some baking soda into the cab to try and get the odor out.

I love Popeye. I play it a lot in Mame. Great Game!
computerfixerguy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 08:36:05 pm »

Looks GREAT! Nice story. Thanks for sharing. That arcade you stopped at looks REALLY sweet.

The coin mechs are not original. $250 for those is CRAZY TALK. I'd just leave them. You can get the Asahi Seiko mechs still, which is what they were originally. Maybe those are the same brand but different model?

That monitor problem is an odd one. Did you try adjusting the screen on the flyback to see if that darkness goes away?

Testing B+ is not a bad idea but I would also do a cap kit if it's all original. Just so you can rule that out.

Popeye is  a GREAT game. I do miss mine. Make sure you get the Brasington High Score Save kit.

He was super insistent they were brand new and new old stock and that he paid 125 each for them. I noticed Mike's Arcade has brand new correct ones for 65 dollars each. I was thinking about trying to sell these and get the correct ones from Mike's... not sure if worth the trouble.

Also forgot to mention when we started out I had no love for Popeye. My original plan was to convert it to . However I have played this game for a week and come to love Popeye. I'm not sure about converting, now. I am very conflicted.

He also glued in the t-molding with liquid nails.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 08:38:50 pm by computerfixerguy » Logged
VertexGuy
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 08:39:10 pm »

Popeye looks great! The other month, I picked up a Stargate cabinet and right when I walked into the previous owners house, the cat smell was horrible. Sadly, the game had really bad cat odor but no major scratches from the cats. I took the game. Threw some baking soda into the cab to try and get the odor out.

I love Popeye. I play it a lot in Mame. Great Game!

place a small cup of pinesol cleaner on the floor of the cab. leave it for a day or two.

IF you decide to convert this to DK.. For cost of shipping I will donate a spare bezel plexi.
btw it does look nice. I do also have original coin mechs.
arcadefan1985

Williams Collector

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 08:49:43 pm »

Good game to own, we love ours!
There are a few tricks to keep t-molding in the groove, liquid nails is not one of them!

John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 08:52:03 pm »

There are a few tricks to keep t-molding in the groove, liquid nails is not one of them!

yeah, liquid nail is UNFORTUNATE!! OUCH! Smiley Does it at least look good?
computerfixerguy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 09:01:30 pm »

It does but I really wanted to refinish the front and sides but if I cant take out the t-molding.. I don't think I would ever be able to make it look as good as it should. Right?
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 09:12:31 pm »

It does but I really wanted to refinish the front and sides but if I cant take out the t-molding.. I don't think I would ever be able to make it look as good as it should. Right?

It doesn't look too bad! Just those bolt holes in the front.
arcadefan1985

Williams Collector

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 09:16:08 pm »

If you own a router purchase a t-molding blade and clean the groove. Easy fix and would be good as new!

computerfixerguy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 09:20:19 pm »

If you own a router purchase a t-molding blade and clean the groove. Easy fix and would be good as new!

You saying just cut through the t-molding? Maybe I should try that. Also thought bout trying to slip some guitar wire in there and strip it out that way.
arcadefan1985

Williams Collector

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 09:48:18 pm »

Liquid nails is tough stuff! Don't know if it will come out that easy. I would pull and cut all I could then sand down flat to the wood. Needs to be smooth for the router or the groove won't be consistent. When installing t-molding always clip the inside wedge of the molding when using on outside corners or it will push out!
That's why people install with liquid nails, Lol!

There are a few other tricks if anyone is interested.

VertexGuy
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 10:22:04 pm »

You saying just cut through the t-molding? Maybe I should try that. Also thought bout trying to slip some guitar wire in there and strip it out that way.

is the t molding damaged anywhere?  does it have to come out?
finally is it the flat thin t molding used on the older cabs?
computerfixerguy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 10:40:40 pm »

He put on all new t-molding and glued it in.. and didn't repair missing wood/paint on the sides.. here is an album I took of detail shots..

http://imgur.com/a/VeW39#0
computerfixerguy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 11:22:59 pm »

SUCCESS!!!!!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: