John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 12, 2024, 11:32:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Track & Field Control Panel Overlay Replacement (First One I've Done!)  (Read 4967 times)
ExitWound

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2015, 04:40:03 pm »

Working on my first arcade machine, Track & Field with trackballs, and decided it needed a new control panel overlay.

Original Condition:

Stripped down: Putty knife, liberal amounts of Goo Gone, razor blade, and sore arms.

Most of the old adhesive removed:

Next comes sanding!
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 06:48:30 pm »

Awesome work so far!! Getting that old stuff off is absolute torture but so worth it.
ExitWound

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 07:23:36 pm »

Thanks John! I bought the Track & Field knowing it had aesthetic blemishes. I think it was a great first introduction into arcades as I've only done pinball prior.

I have to cut the new overlay though as it's not pre-cut. I'm worried I won't be able to get a hole that's perfect for the trackball. I guess I can mask it down, trace the hole and cut it prior...but doing it after application might make a better fit.

I hope the priming, painting and application go as smoothly as this has.
ExitWound

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 10:13:47 pm »

Sanding has commenced with 60 grit sandpaper to remove the residue. Man, is it on there good. There's a spot of rust as well that is baked in where the old control panel had torn. It's coming off, but it's really deep. I may just get it smooth and be done with it. I don't have a mechanical sander so I'm doing it by hand. I look at it as off-season training for running with the trackball.

Here are some progress pictures. I will go over it with 150 grit as well, I think, prior to priming. Then paint. Then the control panel overlay! Can't wait.

ExitWound

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 08:38:23 pm »

Because the weather completely blows, and I can't prime nor paint the control panel, I decided to stick it back on the game so I can at least play it! New buttons as well. Decided to use white and blue for player 1/3 (who share the right trackball) and 2/4 (who share the left trackball).

Still haven't decided if I'm going to touch the cabinet or not.
VertexGuy
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 10:02:27 pm »

is that a crt monitor?
jtslade

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 11:27:25 pm »

Could be one of those true flat crt's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ExitWound

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 12:40:56 pm »

No. Stupid me broke the neck on the tube as I was working on it. It was a G07 with a burned-in pacman tube. I had a Dell Ultrasharp 17" in the basement I wasn't using and threw it in and it looked really good. But I changed it with another 19" Spectre monitor I had laying around. Quality is definitely not as good as the 17" Dell. But, until I find me a new tube, it's flat screen for now.
ExitWound

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 06:31:54 pm »

Finally, the weather changed allowing me to prime and paint the control panel and apply the overlay. The primer went on a little too runny. I wasn't expecting that. The panel isn't completely smooth as a result. You can feel the runs if you know to look for it. Otherwise, not bad for my first time!

John's method of putting the buttons in and holding with masking tape helped a lot. And I had to cut out the holes by hand since it's not a cut from the print. I will probably attempt to smooth the curves a tad more around the trackballs. They're not perfect and it'll bug me every time I play.

Next...the cabinet. But for now, here's a picture or two. [The black metal edge at the top of the control panel is being painted and will be applied afterwards.]

yocke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 06:49:06 pm »

That's a nice view,
Well done,  new trackballs on the way?
ExitWound

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 10:13:42 am »

Not immediately. I bought new rollers from Bob Roberts for the first player. Both have mounting screw cracks though, and wiring hacks. They work, though, so I'm not in a rush.

I did notice that 4 of the rounded bolts (seen holding the trackballs in) are missing. Where can I get them?
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 11:51:17 am »

Looks sharp! Nice work!
HarrieD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 08:27:21 am »

Never saw a trackball on a T&F. I totally love that game, wish I owned one, over here (in NL) arcarde cabinets are so hard to find.

What does that trackball do?

My blog / pinball collection

Restoration projects: Fire!, Outrun
Good friends: Funhouse, Whirlwind, Earthshaker, BTTF, Seeburg V200, Neo Geo cab
Left the building: F14 Tomcat, Independence Day
yocke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 07:40:39 am »

The trackball edition seems to be rear!

How does it work?
Do you run with it, or jump?

Is there a Hyper Sports with trackballs as well?
 Huh?
ExitWound

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 09:40:53 am »

HyperSports and Track and Field are interchangable so the same control panel can run both boards without issue, from what I've read. I've never seen a hypersports with a trackball though.

The trackballs in my system are only wired for an X-direction. If you run the ball up and down, nothing happens. Faster you roll the ball, faster you run. Jump buttons are separate.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: