John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 12, 2024, 07:32:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How best to clean a dirty chasis  (Read 2564 times)
Servo

How do i get more then one star above my picture?

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2014, 10:15:45 am »

I have a filthy GO7 chassis and i was wondering what the best way to clean it would be. I have seen people hose them down in their back yard and others but them in the dishwasher. It seams crazy to me to wet them like that but is this a safe way of cleaning it. any advice would be appreciated...

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"    Groucho Marx
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 11:53:45 am »

for comparison, I work at a power electronics design company and the PCB's we make all go through a dishwasher. Just don't use soap, and ether let them air dry for like a week or put them in an oven at around 180f for an hour or so.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 03:30:40 pm »

I have a filthy GO7 chassis and i was wondering what the best way to clean it would be. I have seen people hose them down in their back yard and others but them in the dishwasher. It seams crazy to me to wet them like that but is this a safe way of cleaning it. any advice would be appreciated...

Yeah I saw that youtube video too.. don't do that .
invest in a small air compressor and some paint brushes .
personally I would take it apart and clean it by hand piece by piece.
atariforever2002

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 10:57:08 pm »

Simple green or similar, garden hose, air compressor, warm sunny day. I've done it a dozen times. It easy, fast and thurough. Have even done it in the dishwasher a time or 2. These are crappy old PCB's not Rembrandts'. Just grab your sack and do it!
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 08:10:03 am »

These are crappy old PCB's not Rembrandts'. Just grab your sack and do it!

Because if you are careful...............

Sometimes you get way nicer results.............
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 09:50:41 am »

Do you clean clean your cars with a toothbrush?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

STEVESPEEZE
Re:
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 11:03:24 am »

Do you clean clean your cars with a toothbrush?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Yes I do clean clean my cars cars with a toothbrush toothbrush .
And my monitor chassis...

I guess you can clean a monitor chassis many different ways but when you only have one shot at it
you should be very careful with something that old.
what I meant was I remove the chassis from the frame before I clean it and so on.

UnwoundS3GA

I am otherwise known as Arcade Perfection

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 12:01:18 am »

I just got done cleaning my G07 chassis! For all the chassis's I have cleaned, I used MG Chemicals Isopropyl Alcohol Electronics Cleaner - This: http://goo.gl/mvCM2o I usually put the alcohol into a aerosol spray bottle, and spray it down on the solder side and parts side to get the excess dirt off. Then I use a paintbrush to get the little things off. After, I am done with this process I use compressed air to get most of the alcohol off, than let air dry for at least 24 hours. Hope it helps!  ;)  
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 12:16:51 am by UnwoundS3GA » Logged
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 08:14:32 am »

I just did 3 cap kits this week and I did exactly like i said, I put the chassis into the dish washer with no soap. then into the oven at 150F for an hour. I have hard water so there was some calcium on the pcbs, a toothbrush and alcohol fixed that, they look much better now and took less work.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: