John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:10:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bondo vs Durhams rock hard  (Read 4523 times)
Worm2

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2014, 07:47:43 pm »

I see that everyone is using Bondo on their cabinets. It has been suggested to me that I should use Durhams rock hard vs Bondo. They say it is stronger. I want to know if anyone might have some feed back on this.

pimppride

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 12:13:28 am »

being into the automotive restoration biz for my profession, I am surprised to see allot of general " bondo " brand body filler used on these cabinets, while bondo is good and works, there is so much better products out on the market, stuff that is lighter in weight ( your adding weight on some of these major repairs to the cab ) easier to sand, cheaper solutions too...

the reason I think arcade people like using bondo is for the grip factor... it adheres to just about any surface, and these cabs that need the repair, sometimes you’re on top of vinyl, wood and a type of laminate 

like for final work and filling the small imperfections, you can use stuff like a " Spot Putty " or " Evercoat Ever-Glaze " in a tube, for that finish work where your going to make a cab perfect silky smooth filling a very low bump or divot you might have missed... nothing to mix...

and remember, what you put on.. and how much... your most likely going to sand most of it off, for the most part, so if you take a little more time on the application of the product, your going to save that much more time with the sanding and mess it makes

i’ve never used the " durhams rock hard " before, but it looks like it would do the trick, it’s just a water based product and the set time is much longer then bondo
VertexGuy
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 02:05:59 pm »

being into the automotive restoration biz for my profession, I am surprised to see allot of general " bondo " brand body filler used on these cabinets, while bondo is good and works, there is so much better products out on the market, stuff that is lighter in weight ( your adding weight on some of these major repairs to the cab ) easier to sand, cheaper solutions too...

the reason I think arcade people like using bondo is for the grip factor... it adheres to just about any surface, and these cabs that need the repair, sometimes you’re on top of vinyl, wood and a type of laminate  

like for final work and filling the small imperfections, you can use stuff like a " Spot Putty " or " Evercoat Ever-Glaze " in a tube, for that finish work where your going to make a cab perfect silky smooth filling a very low bump or divot you might have missed... nothing to mix...

and remember, what you put on.. and how much... your most likely going to sand most of it off, for the most part, so if you take a little more time on the application of the product, your going to save that much more time with the sanding and mess it makes

i’ve never used the " durhams rock hard " before, but it looks like it would do the trick, it’s just a water based product and the set time is much longer then bondo

Being in the  autobody field for 16 years I think bondo is preferred because of its ease of use.
You can work with it Bondo more than marglass and it is stronger than profill (spot putty or glaze) 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 02:08:41 pm by VertexGuy » Logged
VertexGuy
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 02:09:53 pm »

I personally use the Loctite 2 part epoxy on feathering edges before I use bondo.
Doc Hollywood

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 09:01:40 am »

I just did my first patch job on a revolution x topper with bondo and it was only the one side of the t molding track needing repair and it was only a small 2x3in fix. I removed the t molding and placed a cut piece of a old Pizza Hut fridge magnet that I found in the cabinet with the gloss side out toward the bondo and replaced the t molding then hit it with the bondo. I thought the bondo worked and flowed very nice and the finished product was a cheap and easy way to clean up the topper than anything else I could figure. I'm voting  for bondo.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: