John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:44:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Replacement control panel  (Read 1873 times)
computerfixerguy

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2014, 02:28:12 pm »

Here is the situation:

I am in the process of repairing a pretty poorly converted M.A.C.H. 3 cabinet. The original metal control panel had lots of additional holes hacked into it.

I don't have the tools for metal work but replacing the panel with wood will be super easy. My plan is to use a piece of plywood then cover it with a generic vinyl overlay and apply t-molding to any edges left showing.

I'm thinking there are a dozen ways to do this, am I missing anything obvious that would make it ten times better?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 02:33:25 pm by computerfixerguy » Logged
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 09:02:50 pm »

it is a shame you don't know anyone with a welder and metal shop as that is how i am doing this exact same issue with my restores.  I am not too sure what would be the best way to do this, have you checked ebay for a control panel? I have gotten a QIX control panel that way.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 10:20:25 pm »

Here is the situation:

I am in the process of repairing a pretty poorly converted M.A.C.H. 3 cabinet. The original metal control panel had lots of additional holes hacked into it.

I don't have the tools for metal work but replacing the panel with wood will be super easy. My plan is to use a piece of plywood then cover it with a generic vinyl overlay and apply t-molding to any edges left showing.

I'm thinking there are a dozen ways to do this, am I missing anything obvious that would make it ten times better?

Can I have a look at the CP ?
computerfixerguy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 11:31:55 pm »

Here is the situation:

Here you go buddy.

http://imgur.com/a/qRXE4
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 02:21:04 am »

Here is the situation:

Here you go buddy.

http://imgur.com/a/qRXE4

this is what I woulda done....
Stripped the camo off... sandblast it in a blasting tent , then I woulda got out the die cutter and made pieces to tack onto the cp and finally grind it flat.
you wouldn't happen to live in Connecticut would you ?
your other choice is to have somebody cut a thin piece of sheet the same size as the top and either tack that on or drill holes and use carriage bolts.
the re cut the CP layout you want.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 08:09:44 am »

That is simple enough to replace with wood. all you need to do is match the latch hooks and keep it around the same size. Use a nice piece of wood, cabinet ply is of course the best choice but MDF works as well. I would still start thinking about finding a metal shop to do fix that CP for you.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: