John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:54:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Championship Sprint - A love story  (Read 2109 times)
Netropolis

@netropolis on Twitter

View Profile WWW
« on: October 17, 2015, 12:02:20 am »

When I was a kid in the arcade I would spend my quarters like they were going out of style.
One game I was good at was Championship Sprint by Atari. I believe it was Super Sprint that my local arcade had first and eventually that was swapped out for Championship Sprint.

I eventually forgot all about arcades, and almost 30 years later I began collecting them.  I forgot the name of my 'racing game' and many others but eventually as I got deeper into the hobby, it all came back to me. I never thought I would find a Championship Sprint though.

About 3 weeks ago, I was headed to a warehouse (of sorts) to see if I could score a cabaret cabinet, I wasn't expecting to leave with anything having been there before.  A few months earlier I got my Pole Position form the same guy. When I walked in, the first cabinet I saw was none other than Championship sprint.  Well, it wasn't working but aside from A LOT of water damage and a missing power supply it was complete.
I made the and raced home with my soggy new arcade!

It went straight into the back yard, I have no garage so I thought I would dry it out before bringing it in.
As you can see it was dark when I bought it so I didn't really give it a good survey when I bought it...
the next moring showed me the true condition...  it was not pretty.

Like most of us I have watched John (and a few others perform their bondo magic and make old look new again... but due to swelling I didn't think this was the way to go.

I ended up re-watching his pac-man cabaret restore video, and the episode where he fixed the corner with dowels and a new piece of wood.
I thought I would give that a whirl, or this cabinet would be a total loss.
After surveying just what to do I realized this was going to be a terrible project - with fall around the corner I had only a few days left before rain and wind forced me to see if my wife would let me bring this in the house.  *not likely.
The next morning I bought a sheet of malimine and everything I needed to get it done.

I started by removing the hardware:

I even labelled the wires - something which I rarely have the forethought to do!

I pulled the CP and the monitor.

The Transformer, Light, Fan, coin door and the very rough gas petals too...
My hot tub made a perfect place to store things from glass to the cardboard bezel and the PCB too!
Before getting started I cleaned the inside of the cab, the wires had stuff on them - Mold? Plague?  who knows... I cleaned them very well with a toothbrush. This was also a way for me to avoid cutting this up as I was very nervous.

Ready for the amputation?

What have I done?!

As you can see things escalated quickly!  I got nervous as the front came off too.

Time to Fabricate replacement parts.

Unlike John, I was drinking beer all day while doing this...  at this point the sun had gone down and I didn't trust I would have all my fingers if I continued so I decided to go to bed.

The following day I was hung over, and in a hurry because rain was forcasted for late afternoon so I had to get this together and I didn't take photos of the assembly but, I used dowels, glue, melamine screws, and of course the plywood floor and lower back piece.

As you can see I skipped the multi-tier shelves in the coin door area... NOT EXACT I know But hey, it is better than it was.

After moving inside I started bondo work... I was very careful with how much was used... 
*I know why John is so happy all the time now... those bondo fumes... I have been considering becoming a Huffer!

On to paint... Oil based malimine paint... I masked off the side art. because it is not HORRIBLE and I dont want to spend that kind of money on a sticker...  maybe later though.

I didn't take pictures of me cleaning the CP and oiling up the steering wheels.
nor did I photograph the sanding and spray painting of the gas pedals...

After all was said and done here she is all put back together...

There she is!  Lets call that a successful restore.  Not up to John's standards but it was my first...
I am pleased wit hte cosmetics...

Sadly after all of that I have monitor AND PCB issues... I will save all of that for another post in another section.

1979 Atari Asteroids
1980 Midway Pac-Man (TOTAL Restoration Needed)
1981 Midway Galaga
1982 Atari Pole Position
1986 Atari Championship Sprint
1986 Williams Pin*Bot Pinball
1987 Atari Badlands
1988 Atari Tetris/19-1 Multi-Cade
60-1  DK Jr Cabinet
2002 Hanabi Japanese Slot Machine
Netropolis

@netropolis on Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 12:08:43 am »

To do list...
New Lightbulb
Cut T-Molding Groove
Add T-Molding  - how about Chrome?  Just kidding!
restore coin-door
Add Locks.

Fix Monitor
Fix PCB

1979 Atari Asteroids
1980 Midway Pac-Man (TOTAL Restoration Needed)
1981 Midway Galaga
1982 Atari Pole Position
1986 Atari Championship Sprint
1986 Williams Pin*Bot Pinball
1987 Atari Badlands
1988 Atari Tetris/19-1 Multi-Cade
60-1  DK Jr Cabinet
2002 Hanabi Japanese Slot Machine
KennyL

I'm just an average guy, I guess.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 09:50:13 am »

Looks like some very nice work for a first.

Kenny L.
As an f.y.i. there is more than corn in Indiana...there's soybeans, ha.
Mini NeoGeo machine thread, inspired by Ben Heck:
http://www.johnsarcade.com/forum/index.php?topic=2640.0
MagicMarc-er

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 06:01:27 am »

Keep us updated.  Enjoyed reading through it.  When I first started doing this, I would frequently get frustrated with my work because everything that John and others post on Facebook seems so perfect.  But a little bit of visible wear and tear is not a bad thing.  You had absolutely nothing to lose on that cabinet since many others would have just scrapped it.

Incidentally, I have a Championship Sprint cab project waiting for me in storage.  I keep dreading it because it is also very water damaged.  Maybe this is the kick in the pants I needed to get it going.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: