John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:57:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: G07 No Neck Glow  (Read 6327 times)
famousceleb

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2015, 07:28:30 pm »

Hey guys! I'm very much a newbie when it comes to arcade repair but I'm enjoying learning. I just recently bought a Centipede cabaret that plays blind. When I power it on, the monitor is showing no neck glow, there's no brightness coming off the screen at all, but I can hear the monitor coming on. Whenever I discharge the monitor I get a decent pop too. I've checked the connection to the monitor and it's receiving 120v. I thought the chassis might have some issues, so I replaced it with one that's been confirmed to work - still no luck. At this point, what should I look at? Could it be that I just need a completely new monitor? Thanks!
Desolis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 07:45:54 pm »

Hey famous, pretty new myself, but I figured I'd throw this your way if you haven't seen it yet.

http://lawnmowerman.rotheblog.com/rgvac/G07_Flowchart.jpg

I don't know how relevant it will be considering you've already swapped in a known working chassis. My completely non-expert thinking is that the tube might just be dead. Do you have access to someone with a tube tester/rejuvenator that can take a look at it?
famousceleb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 07:59:58 pm »

I've looked over the flowchart before and pretty much determined that a new chassis would eliminate most of those troubleshooting steps. I don't have access to a tube tester, unfortunately.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 08:45:14 am »

I don't have an easy explanation for this, check the heater voltage coming out of the flyback, Its pins 4 and 5 out of the flyback and i think you can measure ac voltage across C831 to get the heater voltage. if you have nothing then your flyback might be bad.  Also check L504 and make sure it didnt break or something.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
famousceleb

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 01:08:09 pm »

Wouldn't any of those troubleshooting steps be negated by completely replacing the chassis with a known working one? That's why I was thinking it's the tube or monitor

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 02:36:40 pm »

well of course, but thats silly to throw away something that is easily repaired.

onyxcamaroz28

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 10:44:06 am »

Neck board completely seated into neck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
famousceleb

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 08:30:07 pm »

Neck board is completely seated. The chassis is definitely confirmed to be working on a separate machine so is it likely that I just need a new tube? The one I have, like I said, is getting power and I can hear it give off that light CRT hum but there's absolutely no light coming out

iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 11:59:15 pm »

so your heater in your tube is broken?

famousceleb

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 02:22:09 pm »

I'm not sure how to check for that. Would that imply the tube is dead? Or is that something that can be fixed? (and worth fixing)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: