John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:59:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: General discussion about arcade games  (Read 1792 times)
STEVESPEEZE
« on: March 06, 2014, 06:14:20 pm »

Im just gonna rant for a while so read along or chime in....

This week was rough.. I met a 1 cool dude who helped me out with some arcade parts.. I met three dickheads .
how the fuck you gonna say something like "im real busy im trying to make money" to a person waiving 200 bux in your face for
a damn pcb board?   how long does it take to hand somebody a board and take 200 bux cash ? I don't get it.
Got another guy who tries ripping people off then not answering his phone after.
I got a machine downstairs im having trouble getting up to my apartment. Either my landlord is gonna rip into me
or my friends are gonna stop acting like pansies and help me bring that shit up. AND I pay them.

Found a dick on ebay, listed an MKII says he has a soundboard.. I don't see a soundboard or cables so I shoot him a msg to verify
then he turns into super douche.  whats with arcade collectors and being stuck up?  wtf man .

This hobby is beginning to piss me off. I was telling somebody earlier that car collectors and techs help eachother and share resources.
then I jump into this pit of fire and I can never buy enough advil.  My downside is .. IRL im too nice and people try to take advantage of that.
I feel like im on an island by myself with this shit , this area isn't very good for arcade machines and the people that do have them are sharks.
Ill be honest so far I got more help fixing these machines from my fucking cat then my friends.

Then you got people ripping into me for making a few xbox machines.
I try not to ask for sympathy or anything but damn.. I am cripple and its not easy for me to do things like I use to.
When you live alone and you have no family around its pretty tough , I try to just keep myself busy . the machines help.
I DO need help with a lot of stuff , some days I cant even walk. I know its horse shit to most of you but it is what it is.
uh...... I bought three hotrods and used alittle cash on my first two machines to make multi's the only way I knew.
Then I ordered some tiny jamma kits and learned that.. then I got more tools and learned so more.. 
Its not like im not willing to pay for stuff its trying to get somebody to sell me legit machines .
that doesn't happen in this crappy town often.  In a short amount of time ive learned a great .

Then theres that auction... I don't like auctions.
Ive been to a lot with the pawn shop and they kinda suck.
Im only looking for a working pac upright and mk boards so it pointless.
plus half those dicks I had issues with might be there and I feel like socking one of those dudes in the eye
so id have to go with somebody that will babysit me .

Um what else ..
I take shitty photos,, crappy vids.. Im not a professional and I cant see as well as most of you guys so im sorry if my photos are crap
but heres some to check out.
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/turbografx/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>

iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 07:15:41 pm »

almost everyone i have dealt with so far with game buying has most certainly not been into this hobby. Some people were operators, others retailers, and maybe just someone who happened to have a single arcade machine. Keep that in mind when dealing with people.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 07:50:38 pm »

almost everyone i have dealt with so far with game buying has most certainly not been into this hobby. Some people were operators, others retailers, and maybe just someone who happened to have a single arcade machine. Keep that in mind when dealing with people.

I was dealing with 3 vendors and a collector.

the one single seller (my donkey kong)  was pretty nice and im happy.
I got the machine up and running myself which made me feel pretty good .
But I cant handle too much , I loose a lot of sleep and forget to eat and stuff just worrying about a broken pcb.
for once I would just like to buy something that already works.
lordkahless214

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 09:15:56 pm »

It's like that in every hobby I have been involved in, there are so many creeps out there, and sometimes you'd run into so many you start to think that that's all you will run into.

I have had mostly positive experiences so far, though there have been a few bad apples, first one was way back when I just started in the hobby (very early 2000's i think) I bought and paid for MK2 side art from a guy on ebay he refused to send it to me. He thought it went too cheap and relisted it, (went for only $5 more the second time around and he sent it to them) he was so rude and obnoxious that I considered giving up altogether. Another guy just recently took forever to send out a nonworking PCB I bought, AND he couldn't even remember who he was talking to when I asked him where it was! And I won't even begin to go into the atrocious packaging my DK marquee came in.....

At any rate even with those losers, I still met other great people who have helped me out, gave me good deals on cabinets, or were friendly and helpful when I got stuck.

I just ignore the idiots and enjoy my games and projects.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 10:29:52 pm by lordkahless214 » Logged
arcadefan1985

Williams Collector

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 09:55:07 pm »

There are A-Holes in every hobby! I'm sure the good will out number the bad. Hang in there and don't get in a hurry. I've only been in this hobby 5-6 years and I've seen slot of crap in a short time. I hang back, look and listen a lot. You'll see who are trust worthy and who are not!

John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 01:03:36 am »

If you're directing any of that at me for ribbing you for xbox mame cabs and shaky vids I hope you know it's meant to be in a joking around way.

Also, this is the forum for John's Arcade and Arcade Outsiders. Both of these shows are dedicated to collecting, restoring, and preserving the history of these games. NOT destroying them.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 09:30:45 am by John's Arcade » Logged
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 12:47:42 pm »

If you're directing any of that at me for ribbing you for xbox mame cabs and shaky vids I hope you know it's meant to be in a joking around way.

Also, this is the forum for John's Arcade and Arcade Outsiders. Both of these shows are dedicated to collecting, restoring, and preserving the history of these games. NOT destroying them.

I know your joking.
So I don't have to take an empty cab and put an xbox in it.  again I am here to learn about restoring arcade machines.
Im well aware of preserving history i've been restoring classic cars for 28 years .
You gotta at least give me a pat on the back for diving into other stages of restoring in such a short time. getting parts and decent cabs around here .. well
damn you know somebody im dealing with highballs for machines as you found out with DL.  its messed up around here.
You will also be happy to know I only have 1 xbox machine left ... it was the first one I did so I wont let it go.
The best thing about having that xbox machine is it helps me adjust colors or crt monitors that are off. I throw on the mame version next to it for a reference.
Its a big to people that are half blind.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: