John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:46:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Neo Geo Questions  (Read 2814 times)
computerfixerguy

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2014, 06:39:44 pm »

Hi all, are there any NG experts here?

I was wondering what is the state of Neo Geo emulation in mame, how many of the games are emulated? All of them? Some of them?

Also I had thought about getting a NG 1 slot and multi cart to throw into a cabinet. I looked on ebay and it seems there are plenty of NG 1 slots up there. Every single one of them is broken. What is the story behind that? Do they have common problems that are easy to fix? Is it worth taking a chance and buying one or two in order to get one working or not?
UnwoundS3GA

I am otherwise known as Arcade Perfection

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 07:17:45 pm »

Neo Geo is great in mame, however there are sometimes when you find games that don't emulate well.

One common problem with Neo Geo 1 slots is the "Z80 error" -- this is usually caused by a bad trace and the bad trace is usually caused by battery acid eating up the traces. This very rarely means your z 80 is bad.

Another common problem is the pcb starts up and you can hear clicking sounds from the speakers. So the system powers up but never appears to start its self tests. The clicking sound from the speakers meant that the watchdog circuit was resetting the cpu in an attempt to kickstart the system. To fix in most cases, replace the lower SRAM ic to fix it.

Also, arcade components website has some repair logs on Neo Geo board sets. -- http://www.arcadecomponents.com/repairlogs.html#88603

I'd say its worth buying a broken neo geo board if you can get it for cheap. Although, here's a working one. -- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neo-Geo-1-slot-PCB-/281277238658?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417d6e0d82

Hope this helps! Smiley
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 07:18:13 pm »

Neo Geo surprisingly is the best emulated console.
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 07:23:25 pm »

Neo Geo is great in mame, however there are sometimes when you find games that don't emulate well.

One common problem with Neo Geo 1 slots is the "Z80 error" -- this is usually caused by a bad trace and the bad trace is usually caused by battery acid eating up the traces. This very rarely means your z 80 is bad.

Another common problem is the pcb starts up and you can hear clicking sounds from the speakers. So the system powers up but never appears to start its self tests. The clicking sound from the speakers meant that the watchdog circuit was resetting the cpu in an attempt to kickstart the system. To fix in most cases, replace the lower SRAM ic to fix it.

Also, arcade components website has some repair logs on Neo Geo board sets. -- http://www.arcadecomponents.com/repairlogs.html#88603

I'd say its worth buying a broken neo geo board if you can get it for cheap. Although, here's a working one. -- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neo-Geo-1-slot-PCB-/281277238658?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417d6e0d82

Hope this helps! Smiley

that's 1 outta 100... most people that get those keep up on the battery change.
If you get your machine from an amusement company chances are they kept up on it.
Mine came already swapped out with a 2032 flat battery or some crap.

Besides,  a single slot unit is about 70 bux from Holland computers .
they also sell the 161 in 1 cart. that's where I bought mines.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 08:21:36 pm »

1 slots are not bad to fix and i would recommend going for one if you find it cheap but that being said working ones are $50. Mame emulation is amazing and i havent found any issues, there are more issues with the multicarts than there is with emulation as far as i know.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 08:44:22 pm »

1 slots are not bad to fix and i would recommend going for one if you find it cheap but that being said working ones are $50. Mame emulation is amazing and i havent found any issues, there are more issues with the multicarts than there is with emulation as far as i know.

my 161 in 1 works fine.
now you know .

A lot of people that already have emulated neo geo know its spot on most of the time.
I have all three. MVS , AES and Emulated 
If the emulation is done with an arcade monitor its nice.. on a flatscreen.. not so much.
the mvs has more problems than the AES.  but the aes cost a hell of a lot more.
computerfixerguy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 09:40:43 pm »

Fascinating stuff guys, thank you for all the info.
lesoleil70

zaccaria.co.uk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 03:29:52 pm »

my 161 in 1 works fine.
now you know .

A lot of people that already have emulated neo geo know its spot on most of the time.
I have all three. MVS , AES and Emulated 
If the emulation is done with an arcade monitor its nice.. on a flatscreen.. not so much.
the mvs has more problems than the AES.  but the aes cost a hell of a lot more.

Having got the 1 slot and a 161 in 1 running tonight and playing it solid for about 2 hours - so glad I bought it - can recommend, although don't be fooled that you are getting 161 games here, there's a lot of variants on the same theme, and a lot of neo titles not featured at all. My advice, check the games list first.

I do hope that one day there will be a different version that captures all the titles, for now, this will keep me busy.

"We don't give the fuck, what the fuck you think of this shit, alright!" - Jacobsen, J. "Arcade Outsiders Ep. 56" http://media.libsyn.com/media/vgo/arcade_out_ep_56.mp3 (12/02/14)
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 09:51:22 pm »

yeah like a million king of fighters
lesoleil70

zaccaria.co.uk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 02:02:10 pm »

I've put about 6 hours into this cart now, and can say in all honesty there are no glitches, no resets etc.
Far too many fighting games, which is ridiculously repetitive.
But just choose 3 game you like, and it's the same as buying the carts, everything else is a bonus.

Neo Mr Do. and Metal Slug are the reasons I bought this, and I'm happy with how they perform.

"We don't give the fuck, what the fuck you think of this shit, alright!" - Jacobsen, J. "Arcade Outsiders Ep. 56" http://media.libsyn.com/media/vgo/arcade_out_ep_56.mp3 (12/02/14)
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 02:06:01 pm »

don't get me wrong i love my multi cart. there are a ton of amazing games on it.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 03:55:09 pm »

I have the 120 in 1 cart and I find it to be pretty good.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: