John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 15, 2024, 04:00:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: John's painting technique...  (Read 5077 times)
Gameroom Designs

View Profile WWW
« on: October 27, 2014, 09:45:10 pm »

...makes my OCD hurt.

I'm sorry man, but watching you pull the roller down, lift it, and then start rolling down again is just killing me. That, and rolling an empty roller over the paint to 'even it out' is not the best technique. You need paint on the roller, or else you're just going to pull the paint off again.

That's probably why a ten minute paint job is taking you hours to complete. Do a search online for some YouTube videos, and you'll find millions of great home renovation videos that will help!

As a past 'poor painter', it's my responsibility to help others with their mistakes.

Cheers!

Rick

John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 09:48:21 pm »

...makes my OCD hurt.

I'm sorry man, but watching you pull the roller down, lift it, and then start rolling down again is just killing me. That, and rolling an empty roller over the paint to 'even it out' is not the best technique. You need paint on the roller, or else you're just going to pull the paint off again.

That's probably why a ten minute paint job is taking you hours to complete. Do a search online for some YouTube videos, and you'll find millions of great home renovation videos that will help!

As a past 'poor painter', it's my responsibility to help others with their mistakes.

Cheers!

Rick

You know, I always love these comments. And, I listen to them. However, my results are pretty good. So, I don't know what to say.

Maybe it took me longer, I dunno. At the end of the day, I have my standards, and I feel like I always get there, even if I take the road you wouldn't have. Smiley

I am the first to admit when I am doing something for the "first time". I'm still figuring this stuff out. I know where I want to go and I keep trying until I get there. Smiley
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 09:54:46 pm »

I cringed a little too but you know what? That cabinet looks HOT! Get'r done John!
Gameroom Designs

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 09:57:05 pm »

The wet sanding you do at the end was really the key. At 2000 grit, as fine as that is, you're really polishing the cabinet. You're doing what auto restorers do to their classic cars. Don't get me wrong, you did an AMAZING job. With time,  practice and improved technique,  you'll be able to nail the perfect finish in less time.

John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 10:04:24 pm »

This is with the flash on my phone. The color looks lighter as a result.

I dunno... I am really happy, guys! This is the best paint I've ever laid down. And, yes... it was the 2000 grit wet sanding that really made it pop and smoothed it out. My sloppy rolling wasn't a factor after I sanded it down.  

There are no streaks, no lines, no nothing. It's mostly smooth and I am proud of it. Smiley

I'm getting better. Listen, I think I am the first to admit that I am learning this shit as I go. I am not a painter or a handyman! I've learned all this shit out of necessity. Smiley

I really like the comments, good or bad. I DO listen to them. We are all learning here in life. It's impossible to know everything. I really appreciate all the insight I have gotten from doing these videos. You guys have made me smarter! Cheesy

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 10:19:34 pm by John's Arcade » Logged
Gameroom Designs

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 10:05:42 pm »

John, it looks wicked sick. You should be proud. That's some quality work.

John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 10:08:10 pm »

John, it looks wicked sick. You should be proud. That's some quality work.

I don't know if you're serious now. Smiley

Seriously, it really does look good. I can't explain how good the sides are. It's wicked smooth. It's like paint from another world. I've done paint before with the foam roller but the 2,000 grit wet sanding really bumped up my game.

Next year, though... I think I am done with paint. I am gonna be exploring vinyl and laminate more. This was just too much work. Smiley
Gameroom Designs

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 10:13:40 pm »

I'm serious. You got quality results! (It just took longer than it needed to.) ;)

Vinyl is a nice choice, but a bit expensive for my taste. If it's original, and a necessity, then fine. Ah well. Such is life.

VertexGuy
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 10:19:15 pm »

This is with the flash on my phone. The color looks lighter as a result.

I dunno... I am really happy, guys! This is the best paint I've ever laid down. And, yes... it was the 2000 grit wet sanding that really made it pop and smoothed it out. My sloppy rolling wasn't a factor after I sanded it down.  

There are no streaks, no lines, no nothing. It's mostly smooth and I am proud of it. Smiley

I'm getting better. Listen, I think I am the first to admit that I am learning this shit as I go. I am not painter or a handyman! I've learned all this shit out of necessity. Smiley

I really like the comments, good or bad. I DO listen to them. We are all learning here in life. It's impossible to know everything. I really appreciate all the insight I have gotten from doing these videos. You guys have made me smarter! Cheesy

"Color sanding"  is a must if you want a smooth finish.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 10:31:35 pm »

That's what I did. Right? Color sanding? Smiley
VertexGuy
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 02:14:53 am »

yeah its like smoothing the paint flat before you clear coat it or buff it.
did you apply a clear coat?
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 08:43:19 am »

yeah its like smoothing the paint flat before you clear coat it or buff it.
did you apply a clear coat?

No, I didn't. I did some research and guys said you can stop after sanding for a satin finish. Which is what I have.
jow
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 08:47:25 am »

http://youtu.be/dM5sIBIRDLQ
Gameroom Designs

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 09:12:09 am »

I'm guessing that's your GFs CD. My Wife has higher standards. ;)

jow
Global Moderator

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 09:39:15 am »

I'm guessing that's your GFs CD. My Wife has higher standards. ;)

Who you talkin to Willis?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: