John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 21, 2024, 04:06:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Post cap replacement issues..  (Read 1367 times)
chookoobum

likes to lay eggs!

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2015, 03:30:38 am »

Hi all!
I have a monitor chasis, that i know was working when i purchased it, i used it for about 5 hours plus after i bought it.  I took the cabinet apart and noticed several caps starting to bulge so i removed the chasis, ordered new caps and replaced a majority of them, before I continue - please note that I live in Australia, and there arent any places over here the supply cap kits like bob roberts ect, I was going to get international shipping through bob, but on his website it says they dont do intl' shipping, anyways.. So some of the caps I had were the correct uf but were of a higher voltage then what was already on the board just fyi.  So after replacing the caps, I reinstalled the chasis turned it on and instantly the fuse blew, there is only one fuse and its located near the ac-in on the chasis.  I haven't yet had time to look over everything yet, I did very quickly inspected the solder work from the bottom of the chasis, but I have not yet had time to inspect anything else, I would just like a steer towards what I should be checking to diagnose the fault, I still havent had time yet to look at it but I'm guessing maybe check the caps are not installed back to front? is there anything else i should be checking, or any methods to diagnose and elimate what this issue could be? any help would be greatly appreciated. 
Thanks Ladies and Gents!
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 09:42:09 am »

Well not to try to sell you anything but I do international shipping on caps. Usually works out to around $10ish for up to 6 kits In shipping.

Anyways to try to solve your problem. You need to inspect the bottom of the board really closely. You might have bridged something with solder when you were installing the caps. Or sometimes a tiny tiny piece of solder will fall off your iron and bridge pins.

Start with an inspection. Make sure you installed the caps correctly and triple check every thing for solder bridges.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
chookoobum

likes to lay eggs!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 01:34:36 am »

Thanks for your reply Ian, Ill be sure to check over my work hopefully ill have a look tomorrow australian time, do you have a website? that would be really handy as this isnt the last cabinet i plan on fixing Cheesy thank you very much for letting me know, i would much prefer to order a kit then picking out caps, regardless how long it takes to get them here.
Thanks again Ian.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 07:36:30 am »

I am hopefully going to have a website very soon. Begun work on it this week. For now I am still just taking orders through email or private messages here.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: