John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 30, 2024, 11:31:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pole Postion  (Read 1502 times)
Patriot

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2016, 03:13:08 pm »

When I turn on my pole postion game it says Ram 20 Ram 24 and Ram 29. Now I just purchased this game and totally a Noob when it comes to this kind of stuff. I did watch johns video on how to bullet proof the PCB. But I have no clue on where to start looking for the issue. When I bought it the gentleman said he sent it off the PCB and cost him 275 for repair.

So any help would greatly be appreciated.

Mike
mrdude

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 10:35:55 pm »

Oh welcome to the joys of owning a Pole Position. I know Ian does do some repairs on them if he's not too busy. Is the board getting the proper voltage? I'd definitely start there.

I'm not sure where your abilities like, but there is a table on page 25 of the PDF that might be helpful:

http://www.arcade-museum.com/manuals-videogames/P/polepos.pdf

Check the ram at 8F, 8H, and 4F (per the table) on the video PCB for your error codes. It may be one or none of those...  Perhaps some of the smarter folks will chime in!
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 10:37:50 am »

make sure you are getting very close to 5V at the PCB. that means measuring DC voltage on either an IC or a testpoint. If you don't have a multimeter you better get one quick.

once you get 5V settled out you will want to take a look at the manual as mr.dude said. The error codes tell you exactly which chip is having issues. You will have to replace those chips. I often will swap around the ram chips to see if the problem follows the chip to make sure it is actually the chip and not some other issue.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
Patriot

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 08:47:53 pm »

Thank you Gents I appreciate it.
Patriot

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 08:34:10 pm »

Well it appears the board is smarter then I am LOL. I am in need of someone to run some diagnostics on my boards. I am currently in Florida if anyone knows of someone who I can mail these boards off to and have them checked would greatly appreciate it. I am at a loss right now, the game comes up but the car and signs are pixelated.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: