John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 01, 2024, 11:46:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Improvements to Galloping Ghost Arcade - Brookfield, IL  (Read 2617 times)
Verminator

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2014, 10:44:28 pm »

As I have heard John state in this forum, there is a very large arcade in the Chicago area that has a lot of "conversions". I know that makes the hair on the back of our necks stick out. Neverless, you should hear me out on this place.

Doc Mack (the owner) has been doing replacements for many of his games from conversions to originals. Of course, I am specifically talking about the games produced up to 1983 or so when part of the life of a game was its cabinet and controls. After the crash, many more games were available via conversions so there are still quite a bit of those at the place... but he is really focused on securing originals of those cabinets as made available.

The original goal for Doc was to salvage the original boards and get games up and playable. Now, the focus is acquiring the original cabs, completing artwork, etc. Sure, these games are available to the general public and will have their dings and scratches, but he admits that too many people come through the place to be able to get the games in mint condition.

While perusing their FB page, I saw they have recently acquired original cabinets for Stargate, Moon Patrol, Rolling Thunder, The Real Ghostbusters, and Holloseum. Most other classics are in original cabs now with a few exceptions (most notably, DK Jr. in the wide body, Elevator Action in a Super Pac Man with an 8 way stick, and Bump N Jump in... something).

I'll post some pics.

Also, Underground Retrocade has expanded to the second floor and now have original DK Jr, Popeye, Sinistar, and a few other new games!

Once GGA completes their little mini renovation/reorganization, you should make another trip back to Chicago, John! Smiley
Verminator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 10:56:13 pm »

Here is the link to the photos of GGA... John, let me know if you want these added to your stream.

(Notice how strategic I was in the placement of the photos I took!  Grin)

I'll bet that none of you have ever seen the cockpit version of Sinistar, huh? Apparently, only 50 or so were made.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127845066@N05/
Verminator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 11:00:13 pm »

I accidentally captured the legs of Doc's girlfriend playing Flicky! Oops!  Cool
Verminator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 12:01:39 am »

They just got an original Jungle King. Awesome!
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 08:03:10 am »

I'll be visiting there around Thanksgiving. I hope it's good. Smiley
VertexGuy
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 06:49:09 pm »

As I have heard John state in this forum, there is a very large arcade in the Chicago area that has a lot of "conversions". I know that makes the hair on the back of our necks stick out. Neverless, you should hear me out on this place.

Doc Mack (the owner) has been doing replacements for many of his games from conversions to originals. Of course, I am specifically talking about the games produced up to 1983 or so when part of the life of a game was its cabinet and controls. After the crash, many more games were available via conversions so there are still quite a bit of those at the place... but he is really focused on securing originals of those cabinets as made available.

The original goal for Doc was to salvage the original boards and get games up and playable. Now, the focus is acquiring the original cabs, completing artwork, etc. Sure, these games are available to the general public and will have their dings and scratches, but he admits that too many people come through the place to be able to get the games in mint condition.

While perusing their FB page, I saw they have recently acquired original cabinets for Stargate, Moon Patrol, Rolling Thunder, The Real Ghostbusters, and Holloseum. Most other classics are in original cabs now with a few exceptions (most notably, DK Jr. in the wide body, Elevator Action in a Super Pac Man with an 8 way stick, and Bump N Jump in... something).

I'll post some pics.

Also, Underground Retrocade has expanded to the second floor and now have original DK Jr, Popeye, Sinistar, and a few other new games!

Once GGA completes their little mini renovation/reorganization, you should make another trip back to Chicago, John! Smiley

Those mofo's have a Primal Rage 2 boardset/machine... lucky
Verminator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 01:15:47 am »

They now have an original laser disc game for Dragon's Lair 2. I know they have an original Time Traveler but it only runs so often out of fear of mechanical failure. Doc says he is going to be cautious about DL2 as well.
Verminator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 08:47:50 pm »

Latest new additions... original Xybots, Vanguard, and Qix!!

They expanded the place and have an insane number of games on the main floor now, including pinball.

Doc is also VERY ambitious so there are non working games on the floor and it continues to be the case of the "good, bad, and ugly" when it comes to the collection of cabinets.

Should be a great YouTube video when John visits the place! And Doc is an all time nice and wonderful guy as well as the regular gamers who go there and have won "Gamer of the Year", including James White, Matt, Rocco, Matt Walters, and Fred DeHart.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: