John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:50:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My ongoing projects and pickups....  (Read 2184 times)
lordkahless214

View Profile WWW
« on: February 23, 2014, 04:01:04 am »

Well I thought it might be fun to post some pics of my projects and get some feedback from you guys on them.
I hope the photo links work as expected....

First up I have my http://www.coinopspace.com/photo/img-20140223-003226 I've had this one for about two years, it was a total basket case when I picked it up, it's hard to believe it is the same cabinet!  Grin Still need to add the marquee when it comes in and paint the new base.

Next one is my Q*bert http://www.coinopspace.com/photo/img-20140223-003317#!/photo/img-20140223-003304
I just stumbled on this one while picking up my Neo-Geo from an Operator's warehouse, It was not swollen at all and is mostly intact inside, It should clean up nicely.

I also picked up a Millipede, but it hasn't arrived yet. I have other pics at coinopspace if you want to see how DK looked when I picked it up or my other cabs. So guys, any thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 04:03:08 am by lordkahless214 » Logged
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 06:47:34 am »

oh cool I have a red radarscope cab too.
is that a qbert cab?
lordkahless214

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 04:06:19 pm »

Yes, it started life as a Q*Bert, still has most of the innards (sadly no boards though) and the serial tags. From the tokens and items recovered from the inside it seems it spent it's early life at a Showbiz Pizza Place, before being converted to Sky shark and sent to a Peter Piper somewhere about 1987, so this game has been in the company of pizza most of it's life Smiley there was black paint over the sides, and under that blue, which both came off together in sheets when I used a dull plastic scraper. I bought it because it has no swelling...well that and I always wanted Q*bert  Grin

And the DK actually began life as a blue cab, I had discovered in in a neighbor's back yard, it had been left to rot outdoors in the sun and rain (and vandalized) by the family of the woman who owned it after she got sick,  which nearly destroyed the whole thing, she was so happy someone wanted to save it she only asked $20 for it,  lots of dedication brought it back to what you see. If you want to see what I started with I have this photo http://www.coinopspace.com/photo/img-20140223-003304#!/photo/donkey-kong-as-picked-up but the photo really doesn't tell the whole story, it was literally falling apart when i brought it home and at the time I wasn't sure it could be saved.
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 06:18:31 pm »

Yes, it started life as a Q*Bert, still has most of the innards (sadly no boards though) and the serial tags. From the tokens and items recovered from the inside it seems it spent it's early life at a Showbiz Pizza Place, before being converted to Sky shark and sent to a Peter Piper somewhere about 1987, so this game has been in the company of pizza most of it's life Smiley there was black paint over the sides, and under that blue, which both came off together in sheets when I used a dull plastic scraper. I bought it because it has no swelling...well that and I always wanted Q*bert  Grin

And the DK actually began life as a blue cab, I had discovered in in a neighbor's back yard, it had been left to rot outdoors in the sun and rain (and vandalized) by the family of the woman who owned it after she got sick,  which nearly destroyed the whole thing, she was so happy someone wanted to save it she only asked $20 for it,  lots of dedication brought it back to what you see. If you want to see what I started with I have this photo http://www.coinopspace.com/photo/img-20140223-003304#!/photo/donkey-kong-as-picked-up but the photo really doesn't tell the whole story, it was literally falling apart when i brought it home and at the time I wasn't sure it could be saved.

that's how my missle command was..
Tate10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 08:41:35 pm »

Great projects man.  I play my DK a lot, and would love to add a Q*bert someday. I hoping to pick up an Outrun turbo this week with a scrambled pic for $100.00.  The cab is in great shape.  Keep the pics coming.

Tate
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 08:15:07 am »

holy cow that poor DK. Hopefully I can get a DK someday.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
lordkahless214

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 05:09:00 pm »

Well DK's all fixed now, I just haven't uploaded any completed pics yet. With the repairs finished it is surprisingly sturdy for something that had such extensive damage, I suppose I could have waited for another Nintendo cab and swapped the parts over but I figured I could use a challenge.

holy cow that poor DK. Hopefully I can get a DK someday.

I figured I wouldn't find a DK for what I was willing to spend, but then found this one, So yours is out there too, you may just stumble onto it like I did  Smiley

Great projects man.  I play my DK a lot, and would love to add a Q*bert someday. I hoping to pick up an Outrun turbo this week with a scrambled pic for $100.00.  The cab is in great shape.  Keep the pics coming.

Tate

Thanks for the kudos, Q*bert is a total classic and another I had planned on buying this year, but almost gave up due to the prices they are fetching, but then found it by accident just like DK  Grin just keep your eyes open.
I have lots of progress going on and those photos will indeed keep coming  Cheesy I usually update my coinopspace first but do usually put it on here too a little bit later, so just keep watching there is more to come!
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 02:00:21 am »

Well I thought it might be fun to post some pics of my projects and get some feedback from you guys on them.
I hope the photo links work as expected....

First up I have my http://www.coinopspace.com/photo/img-20140223-003226 I've had this one for about two years, it was a total basket case when I picked it up, it's hard to believe it is the same cabinet!  Grin Still need to add the marquee when it comes in and paint the new base.

Next one is my Q*bert http://www.coinopspace.com/photo/img-20140223-003317#!/photo/img-20140223-003304
I just stumbled on this one while picking up my Neo-Geo from an Operator's warehouse, It was not swollen at all and is mostly intact inside, It should clean up nicely.

I also picked up a Millipede, but it hasn't arrived yet. I have other pics at coinopspace if you want to see how DK looked when I picked it up or my other cabs. So guys, any thoughts?

My blue cab needs a base too.. I wanted to get a saw that cuts a 45 degree angle to make it look stock first.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: