John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 12, 2024, 08:31:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Crusin USA - dual cabinet Restore Questions- Newbie  (Read 4739 times)
jcapone

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2015, 08:25:07 pm »

Good Afternoon. I just picked up a World Grand Prix cabinet that has been updated to Crusin USA. It is a dual sit down cabinet. It currently only has one monitor and it doesn't light up. A few questions that I have.

1) One power supply's fan doesn't kick on when turned on. Does this mean I need to get a new power supply?
2) Monitor doesn't turn on. It's there a guide to troubleshoot? I want to make sure that I have the proper things plugged in?
3) If monitor is toast, what is the best way to upgrade to LCD monitors? Which hardware do I need?
4) One issue with one Jamma board.. There are three lights on the MB. Light on D7 doesn't light up, is there something I can do to trouble shoot what that is?

Thanks.. I am pretty good with computers, but the whole arcade thing I am new at, especially with early 90's equipment.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 09:59:10 am »

the power supply is probably fine but the fan is dead. It is very common thing to fail and it would be a good idea to replace the fan, its just an 80mm PC fan, cut the leads and solder it in place of the old one.

What monitor is it? We won't be able to help you without knowing what the monitor is. If you are unable to identify it yourself post a picture of the monitor's PCB with as much of it in view as possible.

Generic troubleshooting would be to make sure the monitor is getting 120VAC. The input fuse isn't blown. The B+ test point is somewhere between 80V and 140V (this depends on the monitor). Can you feel any static on the front of the screen when you get your arm near the glass? Start with the input voltage and input fuse and take a photo and post it here.

If the monitor is bad, you should fix it, the LCD monitor is a complete cop-out and makes the game look horrible. If you absolutely want the LCD for some reason, you can buy any cheap converter board such as the one sold at jammaboards.com and every website online ever. It costs about $40.

Charles did a great write up yesterday in the chat room on what is going on with the lights on the motherboard. The coin battery probably died, it should be replaced. Then follow the set up procedure that is listed in the manual.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
jcapone

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 09:51:45 pm »

Yes, it is probably the fan. The MB lights up, just not completly booting.

The Monitor says on the back of the panel behind the screen "KT-2725C". I haven't had a chance to google it yet.. I would upload pictures, but not quite sure how to do that on this board. I will have to test for static on front of the screen tommorow, I forgot to check for that tonight. I will let you know.

LCD is not what I want to do, but I am missing a monitor for the 2nd Crusin. So either I have to switch to that or find me a monitor that is similar to the other one.. If I can get it to work.

Is there a way to go back to see what Charles wrote up. I kept it on my screen, but windows restarted on me.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 09:54:57 pm »

If you are going to find a monitor make sure it's one that supports EGA or otherwise known as medium resolution.

The KT 2725 is an interesting monitor to have attached to a cruising game. Not too terribly familiar with that monitor.

The procedure that Charles talked about is in the manual. You are best off finding a copy online and reading it all the way through

jcapone

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 10:03:54 pm »

I found what Charles was saying. I will try it out this weekend.

Any suggestions on what monitor and where to get them? This cabinet originally was Grand Prix, at least both sides say that. So I am guessing that it was original monitor. I bought it at an auction for $40 bucks. So far a good . Let's see what the total cost will be to get this thing going though.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 10:06:23 pm »

There are a few new in box monitors around but they are not cheap. Your best thing to do is to look on Craigslist for other games that are cheap or for whole monitors.

jcapone

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 07:38:47 pm »

Does anyone know if jamma boards all have 3 led lights on them? I currently have two boards and 1 is working and the other, the third one doesn't light up.
jcapone

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 07:38:35 pm »

Update:

I changed the fuses on the monitor and it turns on..

Ok, so I got the monitor to start up. I bought new fuses and that seemed to do the job.
I do think there is an issue with some of the wiring.

1) First Picture has a wire coming from the "Yoke" of the monitor. I would assume this goes to the monitor board, but don't see where this would go.. Anyone have an idea?

2) The wire with a circle comes from the power supply.. Where does this attach to? I am assuming that it isn't a ground.

3) The chassis it self wasn't bolted down. Do you have to have spacers like a computer motherboard between this and the monitor frame? Also, all the metal you can see right here is electrified. I was shocked  :angry:a couple times trying to figure this one out,

Also, using a three pong power plug, it won't turn on. I accidentlly used a tv plug, no ground, and it turns on. So I am guessing there is a ground issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 07:42:25 pm »

Whoa. Did you plug this into your wall outlet? If you did. That was a massive mistake. Otherwise I am confused as to what cord you used.

jcapone

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 08:27:43 pm »

Yep, I didn't notice I grabbed a power supply cord that was for my computer.. It was a bad mistake till I noticed.. Luckily nothing was fried.. If I unplug the monitor power supply, everything works perfectly... So I am guessing the wires that are above need to be plugged in some where.. I just don't see anywhere that they can be plugged into on the monitor board.

Do I have to put spacers between the chassis and the cabinet for it to be properly grounded? Also, The circle wire comes from the power supply, is this a ground? and where the hell does this plug in from the yoke board...

Ahh, I figure I am almost there if I can get these plugged in correctly.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 08:39:03 pm »

First things first. Never plug a monitor into a house wall outlet unless you absolutely know what you are doing. Most monitors have hot frames and you will hurt yourself or your game.

The green wire is an earth ground wire and that should be attached to the frame of the monitor with the other side to earth ground somewhere in the cab hopefully all the way to the wall plug ground.

I don't know what the black wire is for.

There should be some kind of mounting holes to goto the frame. Some monitors have plastic trays that screw to the frame and some screw to metal standoffs. I really don't know this monitor at all so I don't  know what this monitor uses.

Absolutely make sure you got the power working correctly  before plugging the games pcb into it.

There should be a transformer at the bottom of the cabinet and some kind of wire to goto the monitor coming out of it

jcapone

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 09:11:20 pm »

Good point.

Should the ground go to the frame above the chassis and below for the frame.

Also, looking at this monitor it seems on the third picture that the chassis has a metal frame attached to monitor frame. Didn't know if plastic buffer had to be between them.

The black wire I believe should attach from board that attaches to yoke to the monitor board, just can't find where.

Thanks for help
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 09:29:05 pm »

Now that im not on my phone I can see the photos properly, you just need to screw the chassis's metal frame right to the metal frame of the monitor, failure to do so properly may cause damage to the game PCB.

The green wire just needs to attach to any metal surface on the frame.

The black wire i am still not sure about but often times the neckboard needs a solid ground connection back to the main chassis so maybe its that. This monitor uses a 4 pin yoke plug so it can't be from that. The only other idea i have is its for the deguassing coil.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: