John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 19, 2024, 02:51:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey Guys! From Minnesota  (Read 2912 times)
DrewZod

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2014, 03:12:29 pm »

Hey arcade guys,
This is Drew from Minneapolis MN
I'm a DC comics super-fan and collector and recently got into the arcade hobby. Love listening to the Arcade Outsiders Podcast already caught up from episode 27-45 in only 2 weeks :|

Working on my first cabinet now for my basement, building a 500 in 1 jamma and this is where its at so far (Built it small so it would fit through my doorway) it will be themed after "Batman Beyond" because most of my basement is... I know... this is a classic arcade forum and podcast but I was a 90's kid and before i get into classic restored dedicated cabs I WANT TO PLAY SOME GAMES! So thats why i chose the 500 in 1.

But... cabinet #2 will hopefully be a dedicated taito superman cabinet if i can find one / restore one (Named my son after superman so its only obvious) Besides that's a beautiful cabinet.

Anyway, i figured i would join the forum the arcade community seems great and im excited to be a part of it.

Images below are my cabinet and an example of the theme im going with (Luckily i run a CnC cutting machine at work so it was rather easy to get to this point)

danreedphoto

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 04:14:52 pm »

Hello and it's good to see another Minnesotan!  Stay away from Jow, he's a pervert.
TimeRunner

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 05:08:37 pm »

I'm also from Minnesota. Welcome! Nice looking work area you've got there!
DrewZod

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 05:51:04 pm »

Thanks time runner, it's my work shop, and my boss is a tool hoarder so I have everything I could possibly need. I'll be working more this weekend hopefully paint her up.
Lol dan reed heard you sent jow some surly furious, that'a kid there buddy (that's my jow impression) that's the good stuff, when I heard jow was a beer snob I was wondering if he had tried furious yet.
danreedphoto

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 08:53:09 am »

Thanks time runner, it's my work shop, and my boss is a tool hoarder so I have everything I could possibly need. I'll be working more this weekend hopefully paint her up.
Lol dan reed heard you sent jow some surly furious, that'a kid there buddy (that's my jow impression) that's the good stuff, when I heard jow was a beer snob I was wondering if he had tried furious yet.

He's pretty sharp on beer and a cool dude.  You should come to the MOMA auction in October and check out a few arcade parties going on this month.
DrewZod

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 10:18:56 am »

Sweet I just googled it I'll for sure go sounds like fun.
DrewZod

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 07:48:09 pm »

Here is day twos progress Cheesy
Made the arcade stick template

I have the ability to make the arcade stick top out of anything really, I was thinking about plain wood but what if I did aluminum, cut out some text or designs into it (like "player 1" or a bat-symbol) then threw leds behind it and covered the whole thing with plexi? Does anyone have any experience and can tell me why I should or shouldn't do this thing?
moogrum

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 09:20:24 am »

Go get this thing.  http://baltimore.craigslist.org/vgm/4636202910.html
DrewZod

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 05:04:11 pm »

Oh man that's beautiful if I didn't order 300$ worth of gear for my custom cab I would
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 05:16:45 pm by DrewZod » Logged
DrewZod

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 05:49:35 pm »

Day 3 progress on my batman beyond can guys

Finished filling all the screw holes and drew and cut the arcade stick / speaker box / bezel/ and marquee plate out of 1/8 inch aluminum and sanded the finish. Now next weekend I'll paint all the aluminum gloss black and finish building the monitors little nest area
(The batman symbol in the arcade stick will be lit by red LEDs, and for anyone who cares the two speaker grates are actually the symbol of "shriek" batmans villain who uses sound as a weapon)

And this will be the marquee

Also I'll cut two pieces of plexi, one to cover the arcade stick and another to cover the bezel and monitor.
Let me know what you think guys Cheesy
Jack Burton

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 07:23:45 pm »

that is sick!!!!

-------
DrewZod

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 08:34:44 pm »

that is sick!!!!

Thanks man!
Pages: [1]