John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:46:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I've been working on an eBay variant of the Craigslist search string.  (Read 2760 times)
KennyL

I'm just an average guy, I guess.

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2016, 05:44:14 am »

The best way I know of to do this is setup manually, so I'll try and explain it that way.

Go to http://www.ebay.com/sch/ebayadvsearch.

In "Enter Keywords or item number" I have the following so far.  This is everything you want it to hit.  Set it for "Any words, any order"

Code:
( (coin op,, coinop,, takes quarters,, pin ball,, pinball,, pinnball,, pinabil,, pinabill,, arkade,, aracade,, acade,, acrade,, arcade) )

"Exclude words from your search" is pretty self-explanatory. Smiley  This is what I have so far.  I have "2600" and "vcs" to filter out some of those pinball games without flagging "atari" as a bad word, for example.

Code:
xbox wash dry gameboy nes snes boy advance playstation psx ps2 ps3 2600 vcs painting paintings art topps cd lp dvd vhs

Search is "All Categories".  This is a general suggestion for all eBay searching.  I find limiting the category limits results, people list things in all kinds of odd categories and if you search in a specific category you will filter those results out.

For even higher hit rates, select "search in title and description".  You'd be amazed at the stuff you can find with this check box, but it takes a lot more filtering out of words and you have to be careful to not filter out arcade games by the words you use.

Scroll down to location.  Set it within a reasonable distance of your zip code.  Basically, a little over the maximum distance you're willing to drive to pick these machines up.  Keep in mind, you might be willing to drive 200+ miles for a super machine...rare on eBay, but you never know.

Sort by "distance nearest first", so you are getting results by how close they are to you.  I like to see more hits, so mine is set to 200 results per page but you can set that how you like.

NOTE:  this is still very much a work in progress, let me know that search terms and filtered out words you use and what kind of success you have with eBay advanced searching.  I don't think there's a limit to how many words you can search for or filter out, so this can get very refined.  Grin

Kenny L.
As an f.y.i. there is more than corn in Indiana...there's soybeans, ha.
Mini NeoGeo machine thread, inspired by Ben Heck:
http://www.johnsarcade.com/forum/index.php?topic=2640.0
leejsmith

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 03:44:34 pm »

I am giving it a go, but it still includes just about every console going so it will need a lot more filtering.
once I have something useful I will post it back.
leejsmith

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 04:22:14 pm »

This is my exclude list.

Code:
xbox mini vic vita handheld bbc flyer 32x mega portable drive spectrum saturn pi lego dreamcast gameboy master megadrive system gamecube 64 ps1 psp sony ps2 nes super console pc snes boy advance playstation psx ps2 ps3 2600 vcs painting paintings art topps cd lp dvd vhs n64 ds ps4 wii

I ran this with a 50 mile of my post code and it found a few things that I would not have found.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 04:23:49 pm by leejsmith » Logged
KennyL

I'm just an average guy, I guess.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 08:58:11 pm »

Awesome.  I only worked on this for about 30 minutes before work one morning.  I didn't refine it much at all.  When I get time to work on it some more, I'll post my findings.

Kenny L.
As an f.y.i. there is more than corn in Indiana...there's soybeans, ha.
Mini NeoGeo machine thread, inspired by Ben Heck:
http://www.johnsarcade.com/forum/index.php?topic=2640.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: