John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:46:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Donkey Kong Help!  (Read 4293 times)
Servo

How do i get more then one star above my picture?

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2014, 09:32:04 am »

I am having a problem with my donkey kong, i think it may be a sync issue but im not sure. It's an all original game, except for the power supply, it has been changed to a switcher. Sanyo EZ 20 monitor. The game turns on fine but after a while, and the time varies, the video cuts out. sometimes it plays alright for half an hour sometimes it happens right away. the game is still playing and the sound is still on. Not sure if its a sync or a voltage issue. ive tried two different switchers and im getting good voltage so i dont think its the power supply. any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks...

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"    Groucho Marx
ousoonerfan2006

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 11:10:15 am »

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be one of the pots on the pcb, definitely a sync related issue
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 12:07:59 pm »

that is horizontal sync issues. Turning the hsync pot does nothing? I would check the pot and the connector to the PCB to make sure the sync wire is okay.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
Servo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 02:44:39 pm »

yeah i think i figured it out, i have a bad pot at vr2 vertical positioning, ordering a new pair now. hope that dose the trick, thanks for the help

Servo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 09:30:01 pm »

im putting up a lot of tech posts today. i changed out the pots at vr1 and vr2 and im still getting the same result. when i try to adjust the horizontal position the screen loses sync. the vertical position works just fine. all i have to do is just touch it and the picture goes out.... kong needs help!

iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 09:51:40 pm »

I had this exact problem tonight on my new dkjr. Have you adjusted the hsync hold pot in the upper right of the pcb?

John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 09:49:06 am »

I had this exact problem tonight on my new dkjr. Have you adjusted the hsync hold pot in the upper right of the pcb?

yeah, it really looks like a pot issue. I'd start turning the ones on top of the PCB and the one in the center of the monitor for h-hold.
Servo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 02:32:14 pm »

john,

when you say the pots at the top of the pcb are you talking about the the ones at vr1 and vr2, cause i just changed out those two pots and im having the same result. those are for H and V positioning. the vertical pot works fine, but if i just touch the H positioning pot it it loses sync. uuuuggg!

iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 02:34:00 pm »

On the main monitor pcb near the video input is the hhold

Servo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 02:52:10 pm »

will try tonight, i got a replacement pot coming from bob roberts.

John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 03:32:34 pm »

john,

when you say the pots at the top of the pcb are you talking about the the ones at vr1 and vr2, cause i just changed out those two pots and im having the same result. those are for H and V positioning. the vertical pot works fine, but if i just touch the H positioning pot it it loses sync. uuuuggg!

Then mess with the h-hold pot on the center of the monitor chassis. It's hard to get to and find. Have you touched that one?
VertexGuy
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 10:35:10 pm »

without getting shocked ..
ha
Servo

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 10:15:16 am »

well ive seemed to have fixed the problem, it wasn't easy getting to and man i could feel the static electricity on my hand, i was just waiting to get shocked. By adjusting the H hold on the chassis im now able to adjust the H position on the board without losing sync and the game plays great. one thing though, i tried to make the the horizontal size bigger by adjusting the H size coil and i got nothing, it wouldn't make it any larger or smaller. I have a good amount of empty space on the top and bottom of the screen, about 3 inches. My question is, how should the screen be set, should there be a lot of space of the top and bottom or should it fill most of the screen?

John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 12:32:55 pm »

well ive seemed to have fixed the problem, it wasn't easy getting to and man i could feel the static electricity on my hand, i was just waiting to get shocked. By adjusting the H hold on the chassis im now able to adjust the H position on the board without losing sync and the game plays great. one thing though, i tried to make the the horizontal size bigger by adjusting the H size coil and i got nothing, it wouldn't make it any larger or smaller. I have a good amount of empty space on the top and bottom of the screen, about 3 inches. My question is, how should the screen be set, should there be a lot of space of the top and bottom or should it fill most of the screen?

There should be some black space top and bottom and less left and right. You just gotta eyeball it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: