John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 11, 2024, 09:13:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Ms. Pacman to Pacman?  (Read 5520 times)
Bach730

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2014, 04:22:50 pm »

So after finally getting my monitor issues fixed, I found that my pacman is really a fast-speed Ms. Pacman.

I've been trying to do some research and it seems that often the Z80 socket contains a daughter board. Mine doesn't. It's just the Z80. Is it possible that only the ROMs are programmed for Ms. Pacman? Would just swapping those out for Pacman ROMs get it back to Pacman?
Servo

How do i get more then one star above my picture?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 06:55:46 pm »

you may have a bootleg board or some kind of rom hack. can you post a picture of the board?

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"    Groucho Marx
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 07:01:39 pm »

In my Pac-Man restore I converted a Ms. Pac-Man to a Pac-Man.
Bach730

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 08:51:38 pm »

Here's a pic. The 285 is off the board.
Bach730

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 08:56:39 pm »

These might be better:
Bach730

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 08:56:57 pm »

Second one shows the 285.
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 09:02:39 pm »

These might be better:

politely you might want to clean the edge connectors on the board they look dirty or its just the way the photo is taken. Smiley

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
lordkahless214

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 09:32:12 pm »

I have a board with that mod, it's a decrypted (bootleg) ms pacman romset on an original pacman board, you should be able to reprogram the roms and remove the two extras that were added to row 6 (they are to the left on your photo) , to turn it back to a pacman.

this was done often to Pacman games to change it to Ms Pac or to a game that was already a Ms to eliminate the troublesome daughtercard
Bach730

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 09:56:11 pm »

So L and M are the extras ?
lordkahless214

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 11:49:50 pm »

yes, you can remove them and set then aside as spares.

Edit: Here is a little further information on the modification that was done, it may help you to undo it and return to stock http://www.pinrepair.com/video/pacman.htm#hack3
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 02:06:18 pm by lordkahless214 » Logged
Servo

How do i get more then one star above my picture?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 09:58:51 am »

Defiantly a legit board but lordkahless214 is right, those two eproms at L and M must be the Mod. if you have a eprom reader, remove them and check the others against the mame roms. some of the others may have been changed as well as part of the Mod. Should be good to go after that

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"    Groucho Marx
Bach730

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 06:38:48 pm »

Thanks. I don't have a reader and getting new ROMs was cheaper at the moment than getting a reader/writer. I'll check in after I have a chance to install everything. No sound either so I'm likely to be replacing other ic's on the pcb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 06:57:04 pm »

I'm pretty sure that's the mod that was done to mine too as I don't have the ribbon cable or the extra remote mounted board. I'm curios to see how you change it back. I want to keep my a Ms. Pacman but I wan to get rid of the speed up. I haven't bothered because I'm working on my monitor, but have not time to finish the monitor work so it's just sitting. After I know the monitor works I have a weird sound issue to fix and then I work on getting rid of the speed up. When I bought this thing I knew it needed a ton of work but still wanted it so I could get some expieriance in doing these kinds of repairs.

Is there a button I can click so that I can follow this thread?Huh?
Bach730

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 01:36:35 pm »

P-Feif,

I'm still working on this thing. So far I have replaced the ROMS so that they are back to Pacman. I'm sure you can find other resources as to how to change the speed back if you're just wanting to have standard Ms. Pacman. My guess is that it's just a replacement of one of the ROM's, but I can't say for sure. I just sleeved my old Ms. Pac turbo roms and put them away for now. I screwed up my 285 daughter board so am waiting on a new one. (I replaced the 28 pin sockets with dual-wipes but installed the 285 upside down and I think turned it into a belt buckle or paper weight).

I'm still working on the monitor. I just replaced the vertical IC's but have half a screen and the right half is collapsed (which is better than the total collapse I had). I'm looking at various parts of the chassis. I had some crappy pads so some of the caps I installed when I did the cap kit didn't solder properly and I'm having to fix those as I find them. Hoping that will eventually fix my screen issue. Some people complain about a few resistors in that area going bad (R522 pops up a lot in forums), but Bob Roberts doesn't carry any of them as of yesterday. He said that he doesn't know where to find them as they rarely go bad. I wanted to just replace the lot because of the heat that was apparent there at some point and I can't get continuity on every one.

I also have sound problems. I replaced the RAMs at 2L and 2K so far, and am waiting on a few parts that should come in today before I can try again once everything is put together. I have an IC for the sound amp, but am hoping not to have to replace that. Once I have the new 285 in, I should be able to see where things are.

If you want to email, my email is my username at yahoo. I'm basically just learning by doing. Yeah I'll screw up a lot, but by the time I get done, I will know a lot about this game and have increased skills to tackle the next game.

Brian
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 03:29:17 pm »

Very cool! Yeah I'm pretty sure it's only one or two chips that need to be swapped to get rid of the speed up. My game had a Wells Gardner 4900 monitor. The original book says it should have a WG 4600 or a Electrohome G07, so someone replaced the monitor. I was able to find a book for the WG 4900 on line (someone on this forum actually found it for me) and so I was able to figure out what parts to order. So far I've replaced all the caps including the large filter cap, the three transistors on the neck board that controll the color circuites, and a bunch of the resistors that work in line with the color circuite transistors. The one thing holding me up is the thermistor at location TH501 (which I only want to replace for good measure, I might just put it together as is and see how well it works). I've done a good job researching it to find a replacement, but with a small child, a wife who works midnight shift, and an elderly mother with alzeheimers I'm burried up to my neck and just can't seem to find time to get back to it. What should have taken a Saturday to do has been on going since February. I'll get to it but for now it sits. Keep posting updates so we can see how it turns out.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: