John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:22:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Servo's Punch Out!! Restore  (Read 2826 times)
Servo

How do i get more then one star above my picture?

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2014, 01:02:25 pm »

So i picked up a beet up Punch Out!! Cab back in April, that somewhere along the way had been converted to some unknown game and at present had a Robocop pcb in occupancy. It had one working monitor and the pcb was not part of the . I jumped on it right away, i always wanted a Punch Out!! and it looked like a pretty easy restore.

The control panel and coin doors were both original but not without their challenges. The CP was a hacked up mess, with five additional button holes and a Wico joystick mounted smack dab in the middle. I'm not sure what game it was, It had a CPO with a sword as the artwork. I Stripped the control panel, filled in the offending holes with bondo, gave it it a sand and a spray with some primer and went ahead tracking down the parts needed to occupy the CP. The Overlay i bought from quarterarcade.com, paid a little extra to get a screen printed cpo but i think the money was well worth it. I Got a hold of a Mario Bros. Joystick in good condition and put an order in to Mikes for the addition pieces to make it a 4 way. A new restrictor plate some spacers and new micro switches. Also picked up two repo Nintendo Orange buttons from Mikes but had to turn to ebay for the button mounts. The Knock Out button i bought from twistywristarcade.com.

This is the end result, I wish i had some before pics to show but i wasn't planning on posting a restore thread.

I was told the game came from some shitty Neighborhood in Philadelphia and it showed in the condition of the coin door. It was definitely broken into or at least the attempt was made. The Door looked kicked in, the chrome coin return bezels were hacked at with a screw driver and everything was generally out of whack and bent. The ironic thing was that the bottom door, the one where the vender would get the quarters from is in pristine condition, so it looks like even if they got in, they didn't get their hands on the loot!

After stripping the doors down, scrapping out the old bubble gum and a little work with a rubber mallet and a new paint job, i think the door looks pretty good, I just need to locate two coin mechs for them.

To get the paint Job right i used a two step process. After sanding and priming it, i used this:

This gives it that speckled look, like a lot of the original doors and metal work have on the old games. I spayed the doors very lightly and at a distance of a few feet. once it dried i hit it with two coats of Krylon Black Stain finish.

So now i got the cabinet gutted and on the table but i'm not sure how to proceed. I was all ready to star sanding the cab down but upon closer examination it looks to me like the cabinet has a thin layer of vinyl or Formica on it.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Well that's it for now, i will update the thread in the following weeks with my progress. Thanks

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"    Groucho Marx
zds76

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 12:59:49 pm »

Very nice beginning. Once i get moved into a new home later this summer I hope to restore my PO too. Right now my big problem is find two monitors.
digitaldocc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 08:38:53 pm »

I have a beater PO that I want to repair and convert into a Super PO. I really need to find that security pcb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 07:11:30 am »

I have a beater PO that I want to repair and convert into a Super PO. I really need to find that security pcb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

good luck! Its pretty rare to see a SPO board come forsale and when they do they are PRICY! I think the last one went on klov for like $650

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
Worm2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 07:51:42 pm »

Never thought of using the truck bed liner in a can.
 Thank you I will be doing this myself soon now.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: