John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 01, 2024, 11:11:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Johns Eprom Burner  (Read 2789 times)
randywhatson

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2016, 09:57:43 am »

I am thinking of getting an Eprom Burner. Are they hard to use? Also, which one does John use? Any suggestions on  a good one to purchase?

Scott
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 11:00:36 am »

I use a Needham's EMP-10. It's not hard to use but you do need to run it in DOS and with an old computer that has a serial port. It's old school.

There are newer USB ones but I have no experience with them and cannot recommend. Maybe I'll pick one up.
Ade

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 03:33:21 pm »

I have a cheapo Minipro USB burner which is quick and easy to use. I've only used it to program 27256 and 27512 which it had no problem with. It also can test some 74 series TTL and a small number of common sram devices. It won't however program 2716 eproms (It will read them though). It's a useful little burner, especially for the price if you don't need to program some of the older eproms.  I use it mainly for verifying roms with romident.

My main burner is a Needhams EMP-20. Like Jon says, it needs dos and a parallel port so I have a dedicated old PC to use it, but device support is better (for the devices I use at least).

John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 03:45:52 pm »

I have a cheapo Minipro USB burner which is quick and easy to use. I've only used it to program 27256 and 27512 which it had no problem with. It also can test some 74 series TTL and a small number of common sram devices. It won't however program 2716 eproms (It will read them though). It's a useful little burner, especially for the price if you don't need to program some of the older eproms.  I use it mainly for verifying roms with romident.

My main burner is a Needhams EMP-20. Like Jon says, it needs dos and a parallel port so I have a dedicated old PC to use it, but device support is better (for the devices I use at least).

Is it parallel? Not serial? I always get them confused
Guss

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 04:12:27 pm »

I've seen folks recommending the 'Universal GQ-4x EPROM Programmer' ($115-ish) and 'Toogoo Ultraviolet Light UV EPROM Eraser'($15-ish) in other forums.  I got them on my list to look at when the time comes.  Perhaps someone can give some feedback on its capabilities.
randywhatson

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 04:55:35 pm »

The reason I am interested is because I want install a High Score Save Kit for MR DO! (my kids freakin love this game).

Here are the instructions (via JROK's site)...

You will need, 1 x 24pin socket, 2 x 2764 EPROMs, 1 x DS1220AB static RAM -there's an alternative SGS Thompson part M48Z02 which should also work. This is a 2k x 8 battery backed static RAM.
Skips steps 1 & 2 for just the flip screen.

Remove RAM at location H4, if not socketed then de-solder and put in a socket.
Replace the RAM at location H4 with the non-volatile SRAM.
Burn two new EPROMs using the images below, these replace the program ROMs at board locations A4 and C4.
Power up the game and hey presto, high-scores are saved AND you can flip the screen.

Will that "cheapo" eprom burner handle this?

And, can anybody tell me what the HELL this stuff means???

I like it better when you can just buy the kit...
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 05:59:39 pm »

The reason I am interested is because I want install a High Score Save Kit for MR DO! (my kids freakin love this game).

Here are the instructions (via JROK's site)...

You will need, 1 x 24pin socket, 2 x 2764 EPROMs, 1 x DS1220AB static RAM -there's an alternative SGS Thompson part M48Z02 which should also work. This is a 2k x 8 battery backed static RAM.
Skips steps 1 & 2 for just the flip screen.

Remove RAM at location H4, if not socketed then de-solder and put in a socket.
Replace the RAM at location H4 with the non-volatile SRAM.
Burn two new EPROMs using the images below, these replace the program ROMs at board locations A4 and C4.
Power up the game and hey presto, high-scores are saved AND you can flip the screen.

Will that "cheapo" eprom burner handle this?

And, can anybody tell me what the HELL this stuff means???

I like it better when you can just buy the kit...

you need to burn (2) 2764 EPROMs and you need to install a battery backed Dallas DS1220 NVRAM.  If the location the RAM goes in is soldered in, you need to desolder it, solder in a socket, and then put the DALLAS ram in the socket.

RAM:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.XDALLAS+1220.TRS0&_nkw=DALLAS+1220&_sacat=0

RAM SOCKET:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-24Pin-DIP-SIP-IC-Sockets-Adaptor-Solder-Type-Wide-/140773531671?hash=item20c6c1a017:m:mzCfWMuootVY894l6PWd8DQ

He can burn the 2764s for you if you don't want to buy a burner:

http://hobbyroms.com/index.html

randywhatson

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 02:15:57 pm »

Thanks John. You're the best!!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: