John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:26:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: When to let go of a project  (Read 2515 times)
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2014, 01:49:30 pm »

I have one cab that I am just not sure what to do with it. It was originally a jungle hunt but was converted to a really really really bad game. I got the game for $50 but everything that made it a jungle hunt has been stripped from the cab. I would love to own a jungle hunt and  have been pricing out everything to restore it but the price is starting to approach $500 for just the supplies (i literally need everything but the cab/monitor). When do you decide it just isnt worth restoring?

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
lesoleil70

zaccaria.co.uk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 03:14:59 pm »

I have the same feelings about the ms pac I got.  Just thinking long term though.

"We don't give the fuck, what the fuck you think of this shit, alright!" - Jacobsen, J. "Arcade Outsiders Ep. 56" http://media.libsyn.com/media/vgo/arcade_out_ep_56.mp3 (12/02/14)
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 10:31:52 am »

I am nervous to spend more money on the restore than what the games go for.

Etienne MacGyver

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 11:39:56 am »

If its a keeper, just invest ho much you think is worth it
simple

It all depends if its a keeper yes or no, if you want to flip it, dont invest more than its worth

if its a game you want to keep, its all up to you how far you want to go
jow
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 01:39:52 pm »

Bro, Jamma that bitch and throw a Multi-Taito PCB in it.  Much cheaper.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 02:15:57 pm »

Hopefully not a dumb question but, how does the board handle vertical games and what is the best way to handle arkanoid controls?

atariforever2002

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 07:36:35 pm »

I kinda agree with jow, though I would go the mame route. How much $$ is too much? All depends on you, your deep pockets and your time. Parts are becoming harder and harder to find which drives prices up. Decide today if you want a complete restore and then go find the parts. They wont be any cheaper or easier to find later. Otherwise make do with what you can or sell. Setting a goal/making a plan and sticking to it will help. And really whats the point in over worring about the $$? You'll never make a ton of money on these and you cant take any of it with ya in the end. Just go have fun with them! Can you put a price on the enjoyment?
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 08:41:13 am »

i will consider it. I am not the biggest fan of jungle king but I know its place in history and It is a fun game here and there. At the moment I rotated the monitor and set up mala. maybe after my punchout and phoenix is restored i will revisit it.

Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 09:32:54 pm »

I kinda agree with jow, though I would go the mame route. How much $$ is too much? All depends on you, your deep pockets and your time. Parts are becoming harder and harder to find which drives prices up. Decide today if you want a complete restore and then go find the parts. They wont be any cheaper or easier to find later. Otherwise make do with what you can or sell. Setting a goal/making a plan and sticking to it will help. And really whats the point in over worring about the $$? You'll never make a ton of money on these and you cant take any of it with ya in the end. Just go have fun with them! Can you put a price on the enjoyment?

In answer to the last question asked. Yes I can its called "what i spent" XD However I tend to agree that if the cabinet is shot and it'd cost more to rebuild the original than it would to buy one almost completely working id save the money buy the deticated and turn the damaged original into another game i wanted instead thats cheaper. Way i see it is it's always going to be that game someone converted it will never ever be original again you might as well make it something you want but can afford and be happy with it than sinking tons of money into it and always having in the back of your mind "that bezel cost me 50.00 the glass infront of me cost 100.00 to have replaced, that marquee was 75.00 because it was nos...."

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 10:21:29 pm »

yeah its all the artwork that gets to me. I know of a source for the boardstack and isn't too expensive but getting all the artwork is just stupid money.

jow
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 10:00:11 am »

I kinda agree with jow, though I would go the mame route.

That's a good idea, too.

I'm a purist at heart, but Jungle King isn't a $500+ game IMHO, so if you ever wanted to get rid of it down the road, you are gonna be taking a loss.  If you JAMMA (multi PCB) or MAME it, you have a lot of options as far as other games, and an easier time selling/trading down the road.  Shoot, if you MAME it, you shouldn't ever get rid of it since you will be able to play every game you want.  PCs are cheap, adapters are cheap, etc.  You could probably do it all for $200 or less depending on the PC you get (of if you have one already).
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 07:04:41 pm »

i actually just finished maming it for the mean time. Pretty happy with the results. I need a lot of help with adjusting the monitor but the thing works well.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: