John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:52:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What's your electrical setup?  (Read 3357 times)
Otaku

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2014, 08:27:00 am »

I'm talking about how you have everything plugged in, a ton of power strips, house gifted with a nice amount of outlets, etc.? I don't really need help with anything as I only have one machine, but I thought about this the other day and I figured it would be neat to post up. Pictures welcome! Cheesy

I found a four-plug metal box front with the outlets in it down in the basement of my grandmother's house, I'll probably wire that up to a nice long black wire with a plug (3-prong, of course) on the other end so I can get power into the garage, no outlets AFAIK, unfortunately, and there's no way I'd attempt (or be allowed to, heh) tapping into the walls to make an official outlet. Maybe I'll mount the box on the wall and run the cord neatly hung against the wall. I'd buy new plugs for the box but these seem to be in good condition and they're a little older, I don't know, I'm really picky about that sort of thing and I think I'd feel weird plugging such an old machine into some brand new outlets, too new! They are nice dark brown ones as well, style sort of reminiscent of where I played arcade games, old campgrounds, etc., I don't know I'm weird about electrical plugs (I found them neat as a kid), but I guess it's not a bad thing unless I burn the house down, LOL. Tongue I'd assume the newer outlets have less plastic or something as they just feel a bit weaker, but mainly it's just a style choice. Also having four leaves me some room for more machines down the road. ;) (Box I'm talking about, something similar to: http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-54334793715728_2268_1192749454) Probably seems silly how much I care about this, , I've just always had a thing for them, maybe I'll be some master electrician someday, who knows.  Roll Eyes

What's your setup look like? Whether you have a small or big list of games, feel free to post! I'm curious myself as to how people with many games hook them all up, must be gifted with outlets. Tongue
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 08:46:27 am by Otaku » Logged
moogrum

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 08:38:45 am »

Is there a light switch in the garage?  You might be able to add an outlet there and make it a 2 gang box with minimal effort.
Otaku

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 08:45:58 am »

Is there a light switch in the garage?  You might be able to add an outlet there and make it a 2 gang box with minimal effort.

There's two, as well as the breaker box, if that's significant, but I don't want to touch around that. The two switches both control a light at the top of the garage, which has an adapter in it which the garage opener plugs into, third prong probably / apparently broken off on purpose. Obviously I did not want to plug anything straight into that thing. The garage opener is half-broken now, I would assume it's the unit itself and not the power setup, it's been there much longer than I have been around (not too too long Tongue), and my grandfather was a very very smart man so I assume it's just burnt out from time, so hopefully nothing went wrong along the lines in the house, but both switches do their purpose perfectly, it does toggle the lights on the opener and the button, etc.. So that would probably just be the garage opener that has gone bad. Is that fairly easy to pull off? Sounds like a good project, then, I think I could at least get away with that with some help. They're on the other side of the garage though, it's a one car garage if that (), so I could hopefully probably run some pipe (mind blank on what it's called) across the roof or the floor area and down / up the wall or something so I don't have to run the cord across the room and by the door way. I wonder if I could just run some wire out from the light socket (behind it, of course) through the pipe and down the wall, probably the easiest to do as it's in the middle of the roof. It'd also be controlled by the switch then which I suppose is a plus, while still keeping the light socket functional for the half-working garage opener.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 08:48:31 am by Otaku » Logged
moogrum

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 09:48:20 am »

Turn your switch into something like this https://0.s3.envato.com/files/190068.jpg
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 10:50:31 am »

Just a reminder, extension cords are not code and i do not recommend using them ever. If you dont want to run power through your walls at least run normal romex through conduit into your garage. I don't recommend putting more than about 8 games on a 15 amp circuit. I would still recommend using a 20 amp breaker with 20 amp wiring, but keep in mind that if you dont use 20 amp sockets a code inspector will get a little upset (i ignored that requirement on my setup, because its silly)

If you have any questions let me know.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
Otaku

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 11:14:13 am »

Just a reminder, extension cords are not code and i do not recommend using them ever. If you dont want to run power through your walls at least run normal romex through conduit into your garage. I don't recommend putting more than about 8 games on a 15 amp circuit. I would still recommend using a 20 amp breaker with 20 amp wiring, but keep in mind that if you dont use 20 amp sockets a code inspector will get a little upset (i ignored that requirement on my setup, because its silly)

Are inspectors supposed to come by, semi-often? I've never seen one, ever, weird. Also I was referring to electrical wire that would be suited for heavy stuff with a plug on the end, not one of those super flimsy Christmas tree cords or even something a little bigger. Thick heavy duty stuff. My machine actually still has the third prong anyways, I've heard it was common for operators to remove these. I guess I got lucky on that one, seems like the original cord, too. I'll probably not have more than 1 or 2 games for quite a while either way.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 11:23:09 am by Otaku » Logged
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 07:10:20 pm »

Even the heavy duty extension cords are not meant as a permanent solution. I have almost had a house fire from one once when the receptacle side of the plug failed and shorted out. Please do it right or hire someone to wire it, don't mess around.

As for inspectors. The city at any time can have an inspector come by. They normally won't unless they have a reasonable suspicion.
If you ever sell your house they will of course come by to inspect it before someone can buy it. Finally, if your house ever burns down and they determine it was caused by an extension cord, your insurance may not pay out.

VertexGuy
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 08:07:27 pm »

yeah the fire marshals do not like heavy duty shit running off extension chords.. I got to watch the fire marshal bitch out my landlord for running those in the basement for shit.
mrdude

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 08:55:52 pm »

I'm in the process of creating the setup in our basement. The plan is to dedicate half of it to a game side and the other half a TV side. The TV side will have a flat panel and a CRT for the retro game collection. The other side will have the arcade stuff. Currently there are only 5 machines and 1 pinball acquired but with plans for more...that is if I don't get a pool table. The pool table will kill a lot of space but the replay value is high. I'm torn at the moment. Anyway, I ran a separate breaker for lights (15A) and then a 20A circuit for the TV side and then another 20A circuit for the game side. Also on each side is coaxial TV connection and ethernet. There is also a small office/guest room that is also on a 20A circuit because why the hell not?  All of the outlets are about 6 feet apart with the exception of where the electric baseboards are going to be.

So to answer your question...yes...lots of outlets and a 20A circuit!
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 09:15:35 pm »

If you aren't out of room on your panel, use as many breakers as you think you want to. If you are trying to get power from somewhere in your house out into your garage without going through the wall or floor, look into routing romex through surface conduit.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: