John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:13:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: monitor tuning questions  (Read 1917 times)
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2014, 09:32:51 am »

I got a 4900 in my jungle king cab that works okay, but there are some things left to fix but not sure what to even search for to find answers.

1. everything is kind of blurry because the everything has a red shadow to it. Like the red convergence is off. No clue how to fix that.
2. There are red lines that go across the horizontal and are repeated every inch or so. I think this one can be fixed with a cap kit which i have but have not done yet.
3. Blacks have a red tint to them. I think this one is controlled by the red cut off but i have already turned the pot as far as it will go which has made it better but still a red tint.

Any suggestions on what to search for is welcomed.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
Etienne MacGyver

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 12:04:05 pm »

Start with that capkit, you need a baseline to start with

Probably the monitor still has the Original caps, so it could very well be that there is a dried out cap in there somewhere

If you have a ESR meter you can check which ones are good and which are bad.

See the video my friend Andre made on the ESR meter, it als has a refference to John who seems to be Always in the basement  Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQB7te6SunY
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 12:06:58 pm »

I got a 4900 in my jungle king cab that works okay, but there are some things left to fix but not sure what to even search for to find answers.

1. everything is kind of blurry because the everything has a red shadow to it. Like the red convergence is off. No clue how to fix that.
2. There are red lines that go across the horizontal and are repeated every inch or so. I think this one can be fixed with a cap kit which i have but have not done yet.
3. Blacks have a red tint to them. I think this one is controlled by the red cut off but i have already turned the pot as far as it will go which has made it better but still a red tint.

Any suggestions on what to search for is welcomed.

Try turning down the red a little. And, yeah, that red gun might be off. There are little tabs on the neck that you can rotate to re-align the guns. It sounds scary but it's actually not hard to do. I have fixed a few monitors that had this issue and the results are always amazing when you get those guns lined up. Remember, the white color is made up of R, G, and B. So white lines and text should just be white and if you see colors popping out around the white text then the convergence is off.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 01:17:18 pm »

ill probably do the cap kit this weekend. I have tried turning the red down with no success.  The red cut off pot is also turned all the way. When I goto do the cap kit i will check the pot's resistance and see if it needs to be replaced. I tried moving the convergence rings around but I couldn't figure out how to move them, seem stuck.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 02:35:02 pm »

ill probably do the cap kit this weekend. I have tried turning the red down with no success.  The red cut off pot is also turned all the way. When I goto do the cap kit i will check the pot's resistance and see if it needs to be replaced. I tried moving the convergence rings around but I couldn't figure out how to move them, seem stuck.

A lot of times they are glued together. You gotta break that glue off.
arcadefan1985

Williams Collector

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 08:27:06 pm »

Is the flyback to high? I know it doesn't usually show red but lines will appear when set too high.

SterlingRush

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 04:52:50 pm »

Is the flyback to high? I know it doesn't usually show red but lines will appear when set too high.

Agree with checking this, if screen brightness is set too high, it can cause that red "trim" around the graphics. Set that and the focus, and see what you end up with. Always start with the easy stuff Smiley
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 07:44:04 pm »

it may be a bad red cut off trim control, wiggle it and see if it has play..  mine would only adjust so far until I replaced it with a new one .
its getting to a point where by default you should recap a monitor if it already hasn't been.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: