John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:59:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New guy needing help on pacman/ms pacman  (Read 2696 times)
LWD

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2014, 06:55:51 pm »

Greetings all!  Just made my first arcade game purchase today......a hopefully "minor" fixer upper.  I purchased a Ms. Pacman, but upon inspection the cabinet and overlay around the screen is Pacman.  I have researched some online and learned that I can convert the machine to a Pacman by disconnecting a couple cards and installing "eproms".  How difficulty is this process, is it fool proof? 
The machine is in working condition.  The screen itself is a bit dim.  Also wondering if a cap kit will make it brighter?  I've been watching youtube videos and the cap kit install seems doable.

The cabinet has been completely painted.  I plan to repaint and allow my daughter to paint some pacman figures on the side.  Not factory, but will hopefully look good enough for the baseman. 

I appreciate any advice and help.  I've always wanted to mess with these things a bit.......this my first attempt.  Thanks!
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 11:10:58 pm »

did you adjust the monitor at all? There is a brightness knob. for the ms pacman->pacman swap, check john's I think part 1 or part 2 of the restore. Can't remember which one but he does the swap there.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 12:23:39 am »

Greetings all!  Just made my first arcade game purchase today......a hopefully "minor" fixer upper.  I purchased a Ms. Pacman, but upon inspection the cabinet and overlay around the screen is Pacman.  I have researched some online and learned that I can convert the machine to a Pacman by disconnecting a couple cards and installing "eproms".  How difficulty is this process, is it fool proof?  
The machine is in working condition.  The screen itself is a bit dim.  Also wondering if a cap kit will make it brighter?  I've been watching youtube videos and the cap kit install seems doable.

The cabinet has been completely painted.  I plan to repaint and allow my daughter to paint some pacman figures on the side.  Not factory, but will hopefully look good enough for the baseman.  

I appreciate any advice and help.  I've always wanted to mess with these things a bit.......this my first attempt.  Thanks!

You know you can buy side art (the best shit is up towards 200 bux) or just buy some international school bus yellow, about a gallon (its cheap) do your mix ratio with reducer and hardener then just blow it on with a wagner . Ive seen people use a slide projector to put the image on the side then trace and paint new side art. it comes out pretty damn good.
rebuild the whole thing one cap at a time day by day if you have to.  also check the flyback. if its flakey it will be dim or make it look like the screen is on the way out. at the moment i am dealing with a donkey kong with a horizontal issue so imma have to recap and change the horizontal width coil and flyback. ill post pics for you as a reference so you can do your own chassis.
ALSO underpowered by weak ac supply or bad signal from edge connector. (got schooled tonight by two arcade techs in a room) and finally maybe a rejuve.
i went through 5 monitors in 3 days . ripping them apart and changing caps and Flybacks.
This shit is actually not that hard if you can solder well.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 06:26:05 am by STEVESPEEZE » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: