John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:13:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help With Arcade Monitor - Moving A Street Fighter 2 Champ Edition Cab  (Read 3938 times)
harmonicone

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2013, 06:27:44 pm »

Hi All,

New watcher of John's Arcade and first time forum poster here! So this Saturday I will be purchasing a red Dynamo Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition cabinet from a guy about 30 minutes away. Really excited about the close proximity and the price is right. It's my first arcade cab but knowing a thing or two about mobos I was able to examine the boards/chipsets and everything looks to be in working order. I also playtested it of course, and it runs like a champ. Smiley

The one thing I'm unsure on is how to ensure the monitor is securely mounted - it might even be original to the cab. Could someone let me know what exactly I should be looking for to ensure that the monitor is properly secured in the cab? I'm going to be transporting this cabinet myself with it covered in furniture pads and bubble wrap, ratchet strapped down, laying down on its back in a cargo van. But if the monitor comes loose, all the furniture pads and bubble wrap in the world won't help.

Here are all the photos of the monitor/harness I was able to get the owner to put up. Let me know if you see any concerns here. Specifically I have concerns with the last photo. Should there be nuts on the screws coming out the very back of the harness? Or, with the pieces of wood there on the top and bottom of the monitor do I basically have nothing to worry about? Sorry in advance for being so clueless, I'm just a first time arcade machine buyer and this machine is going to be my entry into the hobby and restoration of arcade machines.

http://s452.photobucket.com/user/brokenpinata/media/Arcade/20131112_223510_zps30cca12d.jpg.html?sort=6&o=7

http://s452.photobucket.com/user/brokenpinata/media/Arcade/20131112_223505_zps1278ac09.jpg.html?sort=6&o=8

http://s452.photobucket.com/user/brokenpinata/media/Arcade/20131112_223459_zps673bd65c.jpg.html?sort=6&o=9

http://s452.photobucket.com/user/brokenpinata/media/Arcade/20131112_223454_zps5837cf29.jpg.html?sort=6&o=10

http://s452.photobucket.com/user/brokenpinata/media/Arcade/20131112_223449_zpsa32d5f27.jpg.html?sort=6&o=11

http://s452.photobucket.com/user/brokenpinata/media/Arcade/20131112_223439_zps23735ec6.jpg.html?sort=6&o=12

http://s452.photobucket.com/user/brokenpinata/media/Arcade/20131112_223429_zps466aa32a.jpg.html?sort=6&o=13

Thanks for any help anyone here can provide!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 11:23:48 pm by harmonicone » Logged
alby13

Jamma Cabinet FTW

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 11:26:40 pm »

your photos don't show it too well, but to put it simply, check for two things:

the monitor should be attached to the chassis.

the chassis should be bolted down to the cabinet with 4 bolts.

you want to make sure the monitor does not wobble. move it around with your hands and make sure it is secure.

hope that helps. sounds and looks great! how much are you getting it for? i'd love to see it home and set up.

-alby13
"Go home and be a family man!"
harmonicone

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 11:53:37 pm »

Thanks Alby! I greatly appreciate the simple breakdown of it all and for the quick reply. I'll have him check it to see if the monitor wiggles at all (can't believe I didn't check that while I was there  Embarrassed). I'm in the Pittsburgh, PA area and I'm getting the cab for $500. To be clear, the arcade no longer has a SF 2: Champion Edition board in it, it's been swapped out with a 450 in 1 JAMMA GameBox. From what I understand from the original owner, he got the cabinet with a hacked SF 2: Rainbow Edition board which was fun for a short period of time, but quickly wore out its welcome. Considering the 450 in 1 GameBox ran all the SF games at an arcade perfect framerate along with so many other games (coupled with a really easy install on a JAMMA board) the choice to switch was pretty clear for the owner. And since I only have room for one cab right now, the variety the GameBox provides made it a no-brainer for me.

Downsides to the cabinet are that there's no marquee with it and the cabinet didn't have side art. From what I understand though, side art was optional even on these OEM Dynamo SF 2: Champion Edition arcade cabs, so I'm not too broken up about it. Other than that there's only one small chip in the wood near the bottom (it's a chip fortunately, not rot). I ordered an original marquee for the cab on eBay along with some really well done reproduction side art and both should be in soon! I'll upload some photos of the cab as soon as I get it into the apartment, and then some progress photos once I get the new marquee installed in the cab and apply the side art. Also, somebody painted the front bottom of the cab black so I'm going to fully strip that with a belt sander and replace it with the original red color. Granted that'll be a little bit down the road but hey, nothing is sexier than an all red cab - I'm looking at you NeoGeo MVS  ;)
alby13

Jamma Cabinet FTW

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 03:11:02 am »

no problem at all. oh ok Street Fighter 2, first of all, I am a huge fanatic. When it comes to SF2 "arcade perfect" is only achieved with the original hardware. No emulation exists that exactly duplicates the experience. the game has a natural slowdown at certain points due to the nature of the hardware, and to perform the special moves requires them to be executed during certain animation frame time periods as well as when performing combos the timing is important. Capcom was under fire for this in one of their latest releases, Street Fighter 3 Online. they promised arcade perfect and failed pretty hard.

I will finish my thoughts. SF2 will play very well and be very enjoyable. if you know street fighter 2 very well you will notice differences. if you casually play it then no worries.

coming from the heart.

the multi games are great, a huge value and this sounds like you are going to have lots of arcade love with them.

thanks for the update!

-alby13
harmonicone

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 09:12:53 am »

Hey alby, much respect and totally understood. Nothing "fully" replaces the arcade hardware, all emulation can do is get fairly close for some games. Huge SF fanatic here too, been playing since I was 6 years old. As much as it may be cringe-worthy to hear, I'm sure I'll just adjust to the input lag at some point. Heck, I played SSF4:AE on the XBox 360 online with a wireless controller for long enough, so I have pretty good experience with adapting to awful lag/framerate issues, haha. Thanks again!
godfather

King Of The Castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 10:30:08 am »

I think we need to start a street fighter owners club .

Also i really like that cabinet. Love the look of the KOAM "Z" cabinet.

Also i just thought I should mention I always play with Ryu and on the hardest setting I've made it to Balrog without continues.

Dedicated: Turbo Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting, Ms Pac Man, 3, VS. Castlevania, Space Invaders Deluxe

Boards: Vs. Goonies, Vs. Super Mario Bros,
alby13

Jamma Cabinet FTW

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 07:39:30 pm »

keep us updated! cheers and celebration

-alby13
harmonicone

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 11:26:24 am »

Godfather - Haha, doesn't sound like a half bad idea. I've seen a surprising amount of SF2 posts on this board!

Alby - Thanks again for all the help. Wanted to let you know we got it home safe and sound! I'm actually going to officially introduce myself in the newbie forum and post some pictures of the cab.
arcade renaissance

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 05:58:26 am »

your photos don't show it too well, but to put it simply, check for two things:

the monitor should be attached to the chassis.

the chassis should be bolted down to the cabinet with 4 bolts.

you want to make sure the monitor does not wobble. move it around with your hands and make sure it is secure.

hope that helps. sounds and looks great! how much are you getting it for? i'd love to see it home and set up.
Some confusing terminology. Generally the electronic control board of the monitor is referred to as the chassis. The metal bracket that the tube is bolted to and the control board is screwed to is referred to as the frame.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 06:01:40 am by arcade renaissance » Logged
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 06:49:34 pm »

I wanna get a SF , MK 1 and KI2 cab this summer.
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 06:52:04 pm »

I think we need to start a street fighter owners club .

Also i really like that cabinet. Love the look of the KOAM "Z" cabinet.

Also i just thought I should mention I always play with Ryu and on the hardest setting I've made it to Balrog without continues.

I use ryu when playing against chun li.. his dragon punch counters chun li's air attacks well.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: