John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 15, 2024, 10:59:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: How to fix it
Turn any knobs? - 0 (0%)
Cap kit? - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Arcade monitor problem..... Again  (Read 1838 times)
Retrogamer1998

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2014, 08:30:30 pm »

S today I finally brought by vs cabinet inside the house to get it set up and playable. It had been sitting in our back room since New Year's Eve and I've been doing work on it occasionally. Our back room gets super cold almost like the outside temperatures and its been in the negatives quite a lot this month. So anyways I pulled the old monitor out because it needed a cap kit and the colors were super messed up and I had a spare one that could go in its place. Everything was working fine when I played it in our back room and it was playing ok for about an hour after we brought it in today. Now the picture basically seems to grow and shrink. Hard to explain but it's pretty much moving around and it's really annoying. Also the horizontal width started to change and the picture was getting mashed up. Then the color started turning purple on the sides. Is this just because we brought it in and it's getting used to the temperature change? Should I turn the vertical hold to stop the shrinking and growing problem and just work from there? Thanks!
Etienne MacGyver

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 05:34:08 am »

purple colors on the sides can indicate that the tube is magnatized, try degaussing it first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsBlmlT2Hes
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 12:08:42 pm »

I have seen monitors do crazy stuff before in high-humidity in my garage. I would let the monitor dry out and get a stable temperature and then see what it's doing.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: