John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 11, 2024, 09:53:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a dedicated Ms. Pac-man with a "bad" monitor worth???  (Read 5073 times)
Oldschool

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2015, 11:55:54 am »

So I've been looking for a dedicated Ms. Pac-man in my area for a while but the prices people want are outrageous for the condition they are in lately. I found one a couple hours away that appears to be in nice shape from the pictures, it just needs a CPO.

The seller claims that the monitor worked ten years ago and when they recently took it out of storage. Apparently it plays blind (with sound) but the picture is "squished" to the point it's just a small part in the middle of the screen (Sounds like maybe just a transistor to me??). They don't have a key and don't sound like they are willing to drill it out. It's a woman selling it for her Husband so she's not real savvy with the workings of it which I understand. They are asking for $700 in it's current condition. Assuming I'm not going to be able to get into it if I go to look at it, and assuming worse case a monitor rebuild kit won't take care of the issue, I'm thinking of offering $200 as it. Is that too low even in this condition? What would be an "OK" price in this condition, not being able to see inside while I'm there?
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 12:16:44 pm »

I think $200 is fair.

Keep in mind, this thing is junk to them right now. Busted. Take it away as-is.

The monitor sounds like it has collapse. Common issue easy fix. Rebuild the monitor.

DarkStar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 12:19:03 pm »

I would always assume the worst, even if it appears to be playing blind. I don't know about prices in your area for a Ms. Pac, but I wouldn't take a penny more than $200 based on your description.

--Chris ^_^
Oldschool

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 12:22:28 pm »

I think $200 is fair.

The monitor sounds like it has collapse. Common issue easy fix. Rebuild the monitor.

Good! That's what I was hoping. If they accept my offer I'll go ahead and order a kit from Bob Robert's before I even head out.
Oldschool

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 12:27:55 pm »

Does anyone know what monitor these typically come with (I.E. brand and model)
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 01:07:16 pm »

Expect either a 4600, 4900, or G07
Oldschool

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 01:15:45 pm »

Expect either a 4600, 4900, or G07

Thanks John!
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 06:27:32 pm »

I wouldn't pay more then $200 for it in that condition. I might even offer less because they might try to haggle.
VertexGuy
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 08:51:39 pm »

I think $200 is fair.

Or they may have disabled the monitor on purpose to hide the other broken stuff .
this is done a lot at that new haven auction john.. they unplug the monitor because the boards are hosed
and put "NEEDS MONITOR REPAIR"
Oldschool

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 08:10:32 am »

Or they may have disabled the monitor on purpose to hide the other broken stuff .
this is done a lot at that new haven auction john.. they unplug the monitor because the boards are hosed

That's a good call, however my impression is that's not the case because it's an older couple that owns the game (The wife is the one selling it, husband is handicapped) and they've apparently had it in the their possession for almost 15 years. It's been in storage for the last ten, and it's when they pulled it out of storage recently that when it had the monitor issues. My impression is they don't know much if anything about electronics. They claim they spend $350 when they got it getting the game board repaired, so if they were willing to fork out that much for a board you can find on EBay for less then half of that, I'm thinking they aren't savvy enough to "hide" a potentially serious monitor issue.

I'm having a hard time communicating with them (no number in the ad, only email). So I shot them my offer this morning. I don't expect them to bite because they really think they have something even it this condition, but who knows. They worst they can say is no!
VertexGuy
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 09:06:56 am »

I was just speaking in general.. you gotta watch sellers like that.
The guy that john bought his dragons lair from is notorious for doing that to other people.
Oldschool

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 10:00:08 am »

I was just speaking in general.. you gotta watch sellers like that.
The guy that john bought his dragons lair from is notorious for doing that to other people.

I know, and thanks for the advice!! Smiley
Oldschool

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 06:33:58 am »

Looks like the seller flaked, I haven't heard back from them in almost two days, and they didn't give me a number.  Cry Oh well, I'm sure another one will turn up.
Glitch

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 10:18:36 pm »

I think $200 is fair.

It would still play blind. If not - board or power issues also.

Pacs are among the easiest to fix, there's tons of documentation out there. Buy for cab condition, plenty of parts come easily.
Oldschool

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 01:51:29 pm »

Thanks for all the help guys! The seller flaked, and a few days later I found a Ms. Pac man Cocktail (which is what I really wanted in the first place) in "on location" condition (Literally hauled it out of the pizza place that the operator has had it in for years). It was REALLY dirty, the monitor had some convergence issues that I fixed easily once I realized what it was (thanks again to you guys), and the board has a lot of hacks (needs new edge connector eventually). It's gonna be a fun project, I've got a ton of new parts on the way!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: