John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:32:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coin door question - Today's purchase - Help required. C'mon team.  (Read 2434 times)
lesoleil70

zaccaria.co.uk

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2014, 04:18:47 pm »

Hi,

Got a Jamma cab today with Lightning & Thunder as the PCB.(See Flickr).

Monitor hissing away and flicking, sounded like running water, but after 30 mins that settled to be stable, albeit with a slightly warped right side. I'm guessing that 5 winters in a garage on a farm didn't do the monitor much good. Forget the monitor for now, I just want to play.....

Drilled out the coin door, no keys!

"You are looking at a coin door"

I - Inventory

You are carrying a drill, a pair of goggles, a beat of sweat is on your brow, you are tired from the journey, yet you want to play.

>Drill coin door.

That is not a command I understand.

>Drill coin door with drill

Met with a Sentinel Blue coin mech linked to a Coin Controls Ltd unit with loads of dip switches that handles the pulses from the coins I think.

The coin mech is just spitting out any coin thrown at it, and there's nothing obvious to get it to override/coin up. but after all the fuss of these two units, only three wires go into the machine.
So the noob question is mostly related to these wires. Is there something simple I can do here?

I've got a 60 in 1 on order just to get something half decent to play on, plus new buttons because it needs a freshen up.
However I would like to give this game a go nonetheless in the meantime, its shite on mame, but may be ok in reality..

I haven't got the back off yet as I need to get new drill bits (see above)

Also from the jingle/jangle I think there's a bounty inside of 10p's.  

Is there a quick dirty method of coining up?  there's no magic buttons or things to flip in this mechanism, just a shed load of dip switches.

The Cabinet is made by Adelphi Coin, its the Challenger Two unit.
Until the back is off I'm picturing this thing being solid wood all the way through, I think it's carved from a tree rather than particle board or MDF, this thing weighs a ton.

Sorry for the disjointed babble.

HELP!

« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 04:22:35 pm by lesoleil70 » Logged

"We don't give the fuck, what the fuck you think of this shit, alright!" - Jacobsen, J. "Arcade Outsiders Ep. 56" http://media.libsyn.com/media/vgo/arcade_out_ep_56.mp3 (12/02/14)
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 04:44:46 pm »

Two things

1) I love the text based adventure joke. Never played zork but i did play several muds.

2) The coin door dip switches are what allows it to coin up. coin mechs generally accept 1 type of coin and if the cabinet was a 1 player game with multiple coin options say coin slot 1 = nickle coin slot 2 = or coin slot 1 = dime coin slot 2 = nickle the mechs will seemingly spit out any coin because your expecting it to spit out a and its set for nickles pennys dimes or possibly even token operation which is a point they might just accept tokens and still work the mechs are generally labled with a sticker at least on the happ ones. {im kinda a coin door guy i know these things}

3) coin door dip switches i cant exactly tell you the pin out but when the leaver isnt depressed its always reading high i believe when its depressed the signal it sends out goes low long enough to trigger a credit, and if my memory serves me correctly {and if im very very wrong someone please correct me} the bottom as in on the very bottom is ground and or power?

Not sure how to exactly hook it up to a mame set up if thats what your trying to do but what i can tell you is on the actual door there should be a little microswitch with a leaver that looks like an L coming off of it and to the coin mech if you cant find it theres a fairly easy way to explain where it is. while looking at the innard of the door drop a coin through the slot as it comes out the bottom note where it comes out in your mind and then look for a switch like i described. If you locate it and its wired up to your board {properly check that first} with the game turned on obviously push down on the leaver not real hard it should move on its own easily if it gives you a credit its working properly if not then check your wiring going from the switch to the board failing that make sure the switch is properly functioning as it may need replaced.

Also when you switch out the buttons it's good to keep them as you can clean the old buttons and save yourself a few dollars on another project by reusing the old ones. every little bit helps and im not even pretending to be an expert on this i just have read a lot on coin doors to get an idea how there supposed to work.

--edit--

If your still having trouble i have an x-arcade coin door that i can physically show you where to look on and i am not saying any of this sarcastically i really do mean to help.

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
lesoleil70

zaccaria.co.uk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 01:02:08 pm »

Cheers for the reply.

I'm not maming this one, it's just going to be a run of the mill jamma cab, but being a noob, the harness and some of the parts are new to me.
the coin mech is not working, so I was hoping to coin up with a press of a button placed in the hole that used to have the coin door lock in.

Is it just a case of a wire to coin 1 on the jamma harness and a ground hooked up to a button?

"We don't give the fuck, what the fuck you think of this shit, alright!" - Jacobsen, J. "Arcade Outsiders Ep. 56" http://media.libsyn.com/media/vgo/arcade_out_ep_56.mp3 (12/02/14)
Crazybanana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 02:01:31 pm »

Cheers for the reply.

Is it just a case of a wire to coin 1 on the jamma harness and a ground hooked up to a button?

Yes it is!
lesoleil70

zaccaria.co.uk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 02:41:09 pm »

phew.

Cheers

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: