John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 15, 2024, 08:27:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Donkey Kong PCB Issue  (Read 10877 times)
UnwoundS3GA

I am otherwise known as Arcade Perfection

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2014, 05:51:13 pm »

So I've finally managed to pick myself up a DK PCB! ....... And it doesn't work.  Sad

So I have come here to search for help. My issue is that when I start up the game,  the game constantly resets -- showing only the "L=00", "1UP", and some video garbage ((blinking)). I do get the DK jump sound when I boot the game up (this is always good). I also notice some rust on multiple ram chips, but I don't think it is bad enough to make the game not work...but it's always possible.
I doubt the EPROMs are in wrong positions but just put a close-up of them for you to make sure. Also, the wiring and voltage feeding from power supply is correct. Hopefully, you guys can help.

Here's a detailed video on my pcb and error -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eK75AFE68w&feature=youtu.be

Here's some pictures of the pcb and error --

Blinking Error:

Whole PCB:

EPROMs:

Rust Example on Rom Chip:

Thanks in advance!  ;)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 06:02:04 pm by UnwoundS3GA » Logged
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 06:13:28 pm »

Bad 5A:

http://www.brasington.org/arcade/tech/dk/

That's a 2532 eprom. Try reseating it first.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 06:15:58 pm by John's Arcade » Logged
UnwoundS3GA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 06:52:07 pm »

Bad 5A:

http://www.brasington.org/arcade/tech/dk/

That's a 2532 eprom. Try reseating it first.
Reseated the 5A and Z80.. No luck. Guess, I'm going to have to get a new 5A, wish I had a eprom burner.   Undecided
Thanks for the help! ;)
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 10:43:41 am »

I don't have any 2532's but I can get some in and make one up for you

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
VertexGuy
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 05:51:33 pm »

I can get that rom , in fact the one I get might already work Lemme check into it.
.. but I don't have my burner yet its in the mail
lordkahless214

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 03:17:27 am »

I had that exact same issue when I bought my DK cab. Like has been suggested it is likely a rom issue, it's what my issue was.
(in fact they ALL turned out to be bad)

In my case I fixed it just by installing a Braze High score save kit since it replaces the 4 main program roms,
in fact I removed them completely from the PCB.

The common problem with these Nintendo boards is the uncovered rom windows which often lead to data corruption, otherwise they are very tough, well made boards.

If you ever intend to add a save kit in the future it couldn't hurt to do that now.

I seem to remember I paid $40 for it, it added features like board test, attract sound and freeplay, all things I wanted anyway, and when I did the math it was cheaper than if I had ordered replacements for just the 4 program eproms..... it would have cost me close to $60
since at the time I didn't own a Eprom programmer.
UnwoundS3GA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 02:56:56 pm »

I had that exact same issue when I bought my DK cab. Like has been suggested it is likely a rom issue, it's what my issue was.

In my case I fixed it just by installing a Braze High score save kit since it replaces the 4 main program roms,

The common problem with these Nintendo boards is the uncovered rom windows which often lead to data corruption, otherwise they are very tough, well made boards.

If you ever intend to add a save kit in the future it couldn't hurt to do that now.

I seem to remember I paid $40 for it, it added features like board test, attract sound and freeplay, all things I wanted anyway, and when I did the math it was cheaper than if I had ordered replacements for just the 4 program eproms..... it would have cost me close to $60
I'm considering buying a High Score Save Kit, because I was already considering buying one anyway, once I got the board working.
So, If I understand right, the DK Save kit, will replace "5A","5B","5C", and "5E" on the CPU board. Correct? Smiley

Ian, I am still interested in that "5A" eprom anyway. Just let me know when there in!  ;)
lordkahless214

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 04:39:46 pm »

Yes, you are correct the save kit replaces 5A,5B,5C,5E on the CPU board.

I just want to give you a heads up:
don't be surprised if some sounds are missing when you get it working, if your CPU roms are going bad, then it's likely the two sound roms have also corrupted.

I just rewrote those two when I bought my programmer, I was even able to reuse the stock ones.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 04:41:26 pm by lordkahless214 » Logged
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 05:08:57 pm »

I'm considering buying a High Score Save Kit, because I was already considering buying one anyway, once I got the board working.
So, If I understand right, the DK Save kit, will replace "5A","5B","5C", and "5E" on the CPU board. Correct? Smiley

Ian, I am still interested in that "5A" eprom anyway. Just let me know when there in!  ;)

Yes, the high score save kit replaces all the roms on the board. I would get the D2K kit then you get D2K and the high score save functionality and freeplay.
UnwoundS3GA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 05:53:31 pm »

Ok! Thanks Guys!  Cheesy Once I get my kit in the mail, I will tell you how it goes!

THANKS!  Cheesy
UnwoundS3GA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 12:59:10 pm »

Alright, so I received the Braze H/S Kit in the mail, and it works now!  Cheesy The only problem now is that it is upside down. Sad
Before, installing the kit, the error was upside down. (after taking pictures of error on screen to post on forum, the picture randomly flipped)
Now, that I have the kit installed DK is fully working but upside down. Also, I don't want to have to do the braze flip screen hack method either, and the reason for that is that it used to be in the right position (not flipped). So, anyone got any ideas?
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 04:16:09 pm »

maybe its in cocktail mode? or maybe just swap the yoke coils

Tighe

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 05:43:21 pm »

I highly suggest you clean the ROM pin legs with a pin eraser and deoxit. You might just find that those chips aren't bad at all.

Although some of those windows don't have tape/label protecting them from UV light.

If they were sitting exposed to direct sunlight long enough the data could be corrupted.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 05:59:26 pm »

2532's roms are in stock now. Do you still want a rom burned?

UnwoundS3GA

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 06:41:45 am »

Ok, so I ordered a pin eraser and other cleaning supplies and we will see what happens! Thanks for the suggestion Tighe!  Cheesy

Also, Ian I will send a PM tonight, whether If I want one or not. I need to think it over.

And, Cocktail mode does not effect it.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 06:45:22 am by UnwoundS3GA » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: