John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 15, 2024, 02:53:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Basement plan for Arcades/Pinballs and other schtuff!!!  (Read 6879 times)
bfrosty

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2015, 12:55:52 pm »

Well, leave your comments below.  This is a rough draft of my basement.  MK

Forgot to add: This is an in-grade basement, no walkout.  A couple of small windows and an Egress window per code where marked.
Front of house is the left side.  Hence, right side is the back of the house.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 02:47:40 pm by mkalist » Logged
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 01:55:14 pm »

That's a pretty big basement, holy cow.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
bfrosty

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 02:23:49 pm »

Thanks Ian....do you have any suggestions for moving rooms around or adding/deleting things?  Just trying to get as much perspective on a good layout/plan from folks.

Thanks,
MK
moogrum

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 02:36:07 pm »

I'd say make the bathroom accessible from the general basement area.  Also, maybe switch the multi-purpose and workout rooms.  I'd want as large of an open space as possible, personally, so I probably wouldn't even have a wall between the workout/arcade/media rooms.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 02:36:25 pm »

I'm not sure. I am going to have fun with this later though. I love doing google sketchup.

What games would you like to own someday.

bfrosty

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 02:44:22 pm »

The bathroom has a door for the general area.  In addition, a door inside the bedroom/MPR...so they could use it privately too if need be.

The reason for the multipurpose room/bedroom being where it is...that "Egress Window" needs to be inside a bedroom per code (Fire Code) where I live.

The media room...was going for compete darkness/soundproofing...so you could rock out in there and not disturb the rest of the house.

We/I did think about just having it all open except for the bathroom and storage areas.....still could do that...hummmm.

Thanks for all the comments so far...looking forward to hearing more from others too.
MK

I'd say make the bathroom accessible from the general basement area.  Also, maybe switch the multi-purpose and workout rooms.  I'd want as large of an open space as possible, personally, so I probably wouldn't even have a wall between the workout/arcade/media rooms.
bfrosty

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 02:46:22 pm »

Here's my VAPS.

http://www.arcade-museum.com/members/member_detail.php?member_id=464393

I'm not sure. I am going to have fun with this later though. I love doing google sketchup.

What games would you like to own someday.
moogrum

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 02:52:58 pm »

The bathroom has a door for the general area.  In addition, a door inside the bedroom/MPR...so they could use it privately too if need be.

Oh, is that what you meant when it said "door" on the wall?  Oops!
mrdude

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 09:02:18 pm »

That's a pretty big basement, holy cow.

What he said! I like seeing how people lay their basements out. We're getting close to finishing ours! Might I suggest losing the wall to the TV/Media room?  It might be nice if it's open?? But then again it is a large enough space that it could be an intimate area with the walls or perhaps double french doors or something.

Is there a bulkhead or anything? You might have a horrible time getting the skeeball down if you are taking it through the stairs in the main living area.
bfrosty

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 09:12:24 pm »

Skeeballs are all ready down there...those were the biggest headache to move, then Hydro Thunder was a B*tch too. 

I was thinking double doors on the media room, but I'd really like to listen to music/movies without disturbing others in the house.  I had the same setup at my old house.  Insulated the ceiling/walls and used a solid wood door.  Plus, the wall common to the other part of the basement was actually a dbl-wall staggered studs.  We insulated both sides...it was awesome.  Kept it really toasty in the winter.

Was thinking about building in a fish tank somewhere...just don't know where at.

MK
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 10:07:14 pm »

There are a few dimensions that didn't make sense or were missing. I obviously have no idea what color things should or will be. And I got too tired to finish doing the bar.

VertexGuy
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 11:36:24 pm »

Id move the skee ball machine away from those pinball machines. or move the pins.
I have seen the ball fly out of one of those.

Having a home gym is cool. but I wouldn't really need a media center or theater.
I don't think id do a bar either.
If I did, that would be where you wanted the media room , and id hang TV's and stuff.
It would be modern goth/rave style.. with modern music and theme.

Id prefere a snack bar in the arcade section.
with the feel of traditional arcades and roller rinks.

bfrosty

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 08:48:07 am »

Woah! That's wickedly awesome to see it come alive...great job!!!

I didn't know they had all those in sketchup....just messed around with it a few years ago.

Thanks Ian.
MK

More dimensions and materials.

There are a few dimensions that didn't make sense or were missing. I obviously have no idea what color things should or will be. And I got too tired to finish doing the bar.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 08:50:47 am by mkalist » Logged
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 09:01:30 am »

Any suggestions for where to put games. I tried to put them where they made most sense but I have to agree with steve and having the pins near the skeeball is probably asking for trouble

bfrosty

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 09:38:17 am »

Yes, mine have the cage in the front and sides.  We thought about where to place the skeeballs for a long time...it's tuff...they take up a lot of room.

We were thinking about placing them on the one wall that is common with the bedroom and along the outside wall.  Probably didn't explain it all that well.  I'll post a pic.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 09:40:59 am by mkalist » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: