John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:00:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Now a monitor problem with machine #2  (Read 2121 times)
Otaku

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2014, 03:19:02 pm »

Welp, I guess I'm having bad luck. Yesterday I plugged the game in for the first time in about a week, looking to play a game with a family member and was presented with this green screen with some lines across it, I tried un-plugging it and such a few times to no avail. Eventually I left it plugged in for a while while I worked on the other machine, and I watched it as it changed back to normal in a split second, no wacky transition or anything. I unplugged it and plugged it back in later on and it showed normally, it was also warmed up as I could see the little test sequence at the beginning, I usually can't see it after it is unplugged for some time and I figured that is normal, and it usually just warms up and displays the game as it should. Same thing goes with this, except with this weird screen over the game. I can hear the game as usual and you can see the game feintly in the background but it's highly unplayable. The only thing I did was look for the latches with my hands, however after I got it open I checked all the connections I might have hit and I figured those would be more towards the back anyways.

It gets a little cold in the garage however I don't think it's any colder than usual.

Konami Rush' N Attack in a Williams Joust cabinet

The screen pictures: http://imgur.com/a/AhyNL
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 03:20:58 pm by Otaku » Logged
UnwoundS3GA

I am otherwise known as Arcade Perfection

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 02:57:21 pm »

Re-seat all connections, if that doesn't change anything, check for cold solder joints on the monitor chassis video input or just reflow them. And, as this probably isn't the problem you could check the voltages from the ps when the screen is green and compare them to when the game is working. Sure sounds like a cold solder joint though, because as the game is on and everything gets warmer a solder joint could catch contact again.
VertexGuy
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 06:15:02 pm »

Welp, I guess I'm having bad luck. Yesterday I plugged the game in for the first time in about a week, looking to play a game with a family member and was presented with this green screen with some lines across it, I tried un-plugging it and such a few times to no avail. Eventually I left it plugged in for a while while I worked on the other machine, and I watched it as it changed back to normal in a split second, no wacky transition or anything. I unplugged it and plugged it back in later on and it showed normally, it was also warmed up as I could see the little test sequence at the beginning, I usually can't see it after it is unplugged for some time and I figured that is normal, and it usually just warms up and displays the game as it should. Same thing goes with this, except with this weird screen over the game. I can hear the game as usual and you can see the game feintly in the background but it's highly unplayable. The only thing I did was look for the latches with my hands, however after I got it open I checked all the connections I might have hit and I figured those would be more towards the back anyways.

It gets a little cold in the garage however I don't think it's any colder than usual.

Buy a new flyback
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 07:32:06 am »

Buy a new flyback

There is absolutely 100% no need for a new flyback.
It looks like maybe there is no video connection, or maybe one of the pots is not liking the cold. You can try to play with the screen brightness pot to get the screen back to a more black without the lines. Maybe color biasing is messed up. Maybe the board isn't starting up at all, check power supply. Cold can do some funky things to electronics, especially old electronics.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
Otaku

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 05:45:29 am »

Just a notice for this thread, solved this myself and discussed a lot of it in the chatbox. Got rid of all the dust (well, most, obviously Smiley) which was a good enough reason to spend the time on it for me, but it ended up being that a screw was in the back part of the monitor which I guess was shorting some things out and giving some weird results, and it fixed itself and made it happen again when the screw moved. Screw safely and slowly extracted, and now all is well again! Free fixes are the best, haha. Tongue
VertexGuy
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 11:56:29 pm »

Buy a new flyback

There is absolutely 100% no need for a new flyback.
It looks like maybe there is no video connection, or maybe one of the pots is not liking the cold. You can try to play with the screen brightness pot to get the screen back to a more black without the lines. Maybe color biasing is messed up. Maybe the board isn't starting up at all, check power supply. Cold can do some funky things to electronics, especially old electronics.

if he went to replace the flyback, he woulda definitely found the screw on the board .. j/k
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: