John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 15, 2024, 01:48:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Galaxian 5v powersupply pronlem..Overheating 4 ohm 10w resistor  (Read 1778 times)
CLHelms

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2016, 03:34:35 pm »

Just curious if any one ever dealt with this on a Galaxian pcb. The 4ohm 10w resistor is getting blazing hot and game will not boot. I have changed the D44vm4 transistor twice,the 2 10,000uf filter caps and 4ohm 10w resistor...same outcome. I am hooking it up in a Pac Man machine I don't know if that is the issue or not. Pac Man pcbs plays fine in the machine...any one got any ideas? I got a 60 in 1 in the Galaxian cab and am not happy with it...want to go back original..any ideas would be greatly appreciated..thanks for looking
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 12:18:16 am »

Sounds like IR2 isn't working right.

Do you have 16V at c36?

If so then i think IR2 might be dead or there is no continuity between IR1 and IR2.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
CLHelms

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 09:04:44 am »

I swapped out Ir2 last night still same situation Ian. The only thing I have not replaced was c35 and d4 d5, both diodes flowed in correct path but also heat up when plugged up . Got me stumped some one on klov suggested the multiplier bypass that would connect to speaker- on the galaxian pcb so i unplugged it but still same issue.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 09:06:38 am »

Well you can't just endlessly swap components hoping for something. Try using a multimeter to figure some stuff out. Are the diodes shorted? are you getting 16Vdc on the cap? Is IR2 connected to IR1.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
CLHelms

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 09:33:16 am »

Ian looks like your right. 1.5v at c36 and d6 ,d7 are not showing anything from the ohm settings on my multi meter in either direction
CLHelms

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 03:35:27 pm »

Solved thanks to Ian Kellogg ,open 6d 7d now it lives again....garbage screen but its alive and im happy Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: