John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:07:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Filter PCB board  (Read 2100 times)
xcaliber

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2015, 08:14:33 pm »

Guys,

What is a filter PCB?
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 07:09:16 am »

it was a filter (SURPRISE!) that manufactures put in between the wire harness and the PCB in order to meet FCC requirements for EMI. They often cause signal degradation and can cause all kinds of problems these days. I usually remove them if my game is having problems or the filter board looks damaged. They are not required for the game to operate.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
SanTe

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 09:40:41 am »

it was a filter (SURPRISE!) that manufactures put in between the wire harness and the PCB in order to meet FCC requirements for EMI. They often cause signal degradation and can cause all kinds of problems these days. I usually remove them if my game is having problems or the filter board looks damaged. They are not required for the game to operate.

Easy to do for some Nintendo games like Punch-Out!! and Atari games like .  Not at all easy to do for certain Taito games like Elevator Action since there are different types of connectors on each side.  I wish Taito hadn't done that.  To make matters worse they used like five filter boards to accommodate all the wiring.  One bad wiring connection in that mess and you've got a real problem on your hands.  It took the better part of two years to track down joystick and button problems on my Elevator Action because of this.  Ended up having to pull one of the filter boards and re-flow the solder on every single connection to fix it. What a nightmare.
xcaliber

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 12:03:09 pm »

I have a Super Pac that is missing the filter board and I wondered if it was needed. I guess not. Thanks guys.
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 03:46:21 pm »

It's removed on my Ms. Pac.  Grin
VertexGuy
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 06:41:43 pm »

it was removed on my pac, night driver, sprint2 ,
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: