John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:19:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on buying Outrun Turbo non working or Outrun working  (Read 3197 times)
Tate10

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2014, 09:29:26 am »

I was set on picking up an Outrun Turbo for $100.00 that is non working.  The screen is scrambled and does not have any sound.  Then locally a Outrun just got listed that I can get for $300.00 that just had a cap kit, fully rebuilt steering assembly with new "A" and "B" gears.  What do you guys think?  Should I go get the working Outrun with all the good stuff for a couple bucks more or roll the dice with the cheaper turbo.  I am leaning towards spending the extra money and getting the working Outrun as I don't $300 is a bad .

Tate
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 09:51:00 am »

LOL i just asked john this question for the same machines!

Outrun is a better game. but the outrun turbo is not too bad of a fix. I already know what is wrong with that outrun turbo as well. I won't be getting ether because they are just too far for me and i just got 4 games this week.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
Tate10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 10:06:27 am »

If you don't mind me asking what do you think is wrong with the Outrun Turbo?  Like you said I think Outrun is a better game also.  Decisions, Decisions, Decisions. 
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 10:12:50 am »

I am pretty sure the turbo had its battery die, which means the board suicided. There is a kit you can buy online to phoenix the board.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
Tate10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 10:44:37 am »

I just looked at segaresurrection.com.  They sell a kit for $40.00 to replace the needed eproms and security processor to resurrect a suicide board from the battery going bad.
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 05:55:54 pm »

If you don't mind me asking what do you think is wrong with the Outrun Turbo?  Like you said I think Outrun is a better game also.  Decisions, Decisions, Decisions. 

Well if you get a pic on the screen and its scrambled ..  make sure you have the proper voltage going to the board first
because if its low you will get a scrambled screen.
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 01:58:34 am »

heres another one..
http://hartford.craigslist.org/clt/4322681073.html
Tate10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 08:10:42 am »

That would be a cool game to have in the collection.  Here is the one I was talking about http://cleveland.craigslist.org/clt/4296923178.html
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 08:36:07 am »

well damn even if you have to buy another pcb that machine looks pretty decent.
Etienne MacGyver

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 09:27:34 am »

catch the outrun, like said before, the Original outrun is the best version of outrun there is
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 10:06:47 am »

catch the outrun, like said before, the Original outrun is the best version of outrun there is

Agreed! Although, those are both Outrun cabinets. The turbo cabinet is a conversion, right?
Tate10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 11:16:14 am »

Yes I believe the turbo is a conversion from the original outrun.  Pretty common.  I'm going to go with the original working outrun if I can get this guy to email me back.
lesoleil70

zaccaria.co.uk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 03:43:34 pm »

An outrun would typically be on sale in the UK less than half a day, even one with issues - Is this still for sale?

"We don't give the fuck, what the fuck you think of this shit, alright!" - Jacobsen, J. "Arcade Outsiders Ep. 56" http://media.libsyn.com/media/vgo/arcade_out_ep_56.mp3 (12/02/14)
Tate10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 07:02:26 pm »

I emailed the listing the second hour it was up with no reply and there is no phone number to call.  I have not heard back yet.  I hope they get back to me.  I have been looking for outrun for a while.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: