John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:39:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: About Bob Roberts  (Read 7194 times)
P-feif

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2015, 08:49:42 pm »

Shocked to see his site closed and I really hope that he reopens again one day, but more importantly that he gets well.

So anyhow I was about to make an order, any idea where to order parts from in the mean time. Some place with a web page easy to understand for us beginers. That's what I liked about Mr. Roberts. Talking to him through e-mail made it so simple to understand what I'm doing and how and what to oreder.

Honestly I just feel bad for the poor guy. Had no idea that he was having problems. Get well soon Bob.....

http://www.therealbobroberts.net/status.html
darkcat1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 08:01:29 am »

sorry to hear that he's pretty sick. Hopefully he can ship out what people ordered
Hyderyoda

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 08:16:36 am »

sorry to hear that he's pretty sick. Hopefully he can ship out what people ordered
I maid a order last week and its at the post office now have to go pick it up.

Line up ~ Mario wide body, DK ,Time Pilot, Street Fighter II,  Neo Geo , Legends of Gauntlet , Need for speed Underground. Pin Line up (Data East) , Swords of Fury , Mata Hari
Worm2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 06:51:07 pm »

I hope he can find someone to keep running the business! We need this stuff!
Get better Bob! Anyone know his address? We should all send him something nice as a thank you for your services and get well soon.
ExitWound

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 09:37:59 am »

I feel his 20+ hours a day on email filling orders could probably be cut back if he actually used the Internet to benefit the business. Sure, paypal and other shipping options would cut into his profit, but he'd be using a more streamlined shipping system and payment system. Just got my order from him for something I'd never be able to find elsewhere, and I really do hope he continues doing what he does. Just saying, streamlining has its merits too.
Binkman85

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 01:15:11 pm »

My thoughts & prayers are with you Bob.  Not a collector yet but have heard nothing but great things about you over the years from John and others.  Hope you are better soon and I'll be able to purchase parts from you in the future.
darkcat1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 10:00:04 am »

I feel his 20+ hours a day on email filling orders could probably be cut back if he actually used the Internet to benefit the business. Sure, paypal and other shipping options would cut into his profit, but he'd be using a more streamlined shipping system and payment system. Just got my order from him for something I'd never be able to find elsewhere, and I really do hope he continues doing what he does. Just saying, streamlining has its merits too.

Bob should at least forgo the emails in favor of a more automatic internet-based system that logs and organizes the orders for him into a database.  The cost to implement something like that would me minimal since you could just hire someone or put out one that uses a web form.

That said I hope he gets better as his kits make things easier than having to track down individual transistors and capacitors yourself. 
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 03:14:43 pm »

Check out other vendors. There are a lot more in the market than just bob. Some people also have better websites and even better kits.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
Prog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 07:58:10 pm »

Anyone know who else offers kits to improve the stability of Pole Position and such?
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 08:20:58 pm »

I'm not sure i understand what you are looking for. All you need to do is buy some .250 QD connectors and wire in the +5V and ground. Considering adding in sense wires or removing the sense all together on the AR2. there isn't that much there to do for pole position

Prog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 08:24:09 pm »

Huh. A lot of guides on the internet are vague, I thought there might've been something unique there.
IIRC Bob Roberts sold replacement harnesses. What should I do for those (if need be), scrounge Mouser for similarly pitched card-edge connectors?
EDIT: I had the wrong link and did not realize that he still had his catalog on the website. I apologize.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 08:26:27 pm by Prog » Logged
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 08:31:09 pm »

I'm not sure who sells full harnesses but i usually buy edge connectors from jammaboards.com They are really nice plastic and the molding is really well done. Not very expensive either.

P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 12:02:45 am »

For the guy who said he wanted to send Bob a card here's the address that I have.

1200 Fredericks St
Gretna, LA 70053-3719

That's a very good idea and a very nice thing to do....
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 09:03:25 pm »

Bob Roberts posted an update on his situation.

http://www.therealbobroberts.net/status.html
tombutler

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 10:58:08 pm »

Good to hear he is in good spirits.

Had me a bit worried there when his site went down.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: