John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 01, 2024, 07:21:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 3D Printer  (Read 1862 times)
Worm2

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2015, 07:30:47 pm »

My friend just got a Markerbot?? 3D printer. He suggest it may be possiable to 3D print some of the parts I am looking for. Does anyone know if this is smart? It seems like most parts are both plastic and metal. I was going to give him some joystick dust washers just to see how to turns out.
BloodyCactus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 07:58:16 pm »

dust washers are probably too thin to be of any use, 3d printed, the orientation of the FDM strands will make it very breakable.

--/\-[ A Pin Guy ]-/\--
shawnsdada

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 10:59:17 am »

There's a company called Markfor3D (I believe) that's working on a 3D printer that does carbon fiber layers within a print. Adding a lot more strength to prints.

It's still going to be a while before we have anything that can print strong material quickly. You can get strong prints now if you have a whole day to dedicate to printing one thing

Judge not by their games, but by how many posts they've made
Worm2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 01:28:27 pm »

WOW, I didnt know they were so weak. I know someone that is using his 3D printer to make replacement parts for his Drons. But I guess they are kind of weak anyway beause they always crash and break. LoL
Thanks for the input.
BloodyCactus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 07:51:51 pm »

ABS is strong stuff, but you need layers for it to work. a couple of layers to make wafer, is too thin.

--/\-[ A Pin Guy ]-/\--
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: