John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:44:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Daaannnng look at that monitor!!  (Read 4078 times)
xcaliber

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2015, 08:42:13 pm »

Ok guys,

I bought a Buck Hunter a few weeks ago for $40. It was on Craigslist and when I called about it the owner said that it would come on, but after a couple of minutes the screen scrambled. I drove over to the guys house and when he powered it on the boot screen stated that there was high voltage. I paid him and loaded it up. I just got around to looking at it yesterday. I figured it was the power supply, because of watching John's videos, and tried that first. Sure enough the volts were at 5.9 and 12.8. I dialed down the volts and now the game stays on and no more high voltage on the boot up screen. Now I have an ugly screen with some lines. I played with the pots and I think I made it worse. Can you guys take a look at the monitor and make some suggestions? It is out of focus and it seemed to get that way after I turned a "pin cushion" pot? I think that is what it read. Thanks in advance.

iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 09:17:02 pm »

You need to turn the brightness (screen)  pot down.  And it looks like you need to turn the color drive pots up.  Depending on what game you have there should be a test mode that has test patterns to help adjust the monitor. 

As a side thing.  You should try to figure out what monitor it is and do a cap kit.  That would help with the white bars.  But turning the brightness down will remove the bars up until a point.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 09:50:54 pm »

First off, great job figuring out the voltage issue and dialing in the +5V! Nice work getting it working!

As Ian said, turn down the screen on the flyback. It's too bright. After that, dial in those color pots on the neck board.

I typically will put all the color pots in the center position. Then, I usually dial each one up a little until the colors are just about to be too strong. That usually gives me a good picture.

Yes, a cap kit would probably help too. But, do the simple stuff first like dialing the monitor in.
xcaliber

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 10:14:26 pm »

Bad news fellows. I took the plexi off to wipe down the monitor and there are some scratches on the monitor. I thought it was on the plexi, but it isn't. That flipping sucks. I guess now I'm in the market for a monitor.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 10:46:01 pm »

Bad news fellows. I took the plexi off to wipe down the monitor and there are some scratches on the monitor. I thought it was on the plexi, but it isn't. That flipping sucks. I guess now I'm in the market for a monitor.

How bad is it? Can you really notice it!?!
xcaliber

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 10:53:09 pm »

When the game is on you can't notice it, but this was going to be a flip. It is a philips monitor. I didn't know they made them for arcade games. I think I will find that link you talked about for the tube swaps and see if mine is swapable.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 10:55:12 pm »

When the game is on you can't notice it, but this was going to be a flip. It is a philips monitor. I didn't know they made them for arcade games. I think I will find that link you talked about for the tube swaps and see if mine is swapable.

I mean seriously.... is it really bad? I bet you don't need to swap it.

Phillips is the TUBE manufacturer. Has nothing to do with who made monitor (Wells, etc.)
xcaliber

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 11:05:11 pm »

lojack

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 09:30:57 am »

i think you might be able to polish that out

vids: MKI-IV, KI 1&2, Cocktail centipede, Street Fighter 2, Space Invaders Deluxe, Asteroids Deluxe, Tekken 4&5 and Soul Calibur 2
computerfixerguy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 06:14:59 pm »

A lot of those light gun games get the brightness pot cranked, otherwise the light guns don't work too good. That's probably why it was up so high...
BadMonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 06:58:15 pm »

I was going to say the same thing. I have a couple buck hunters. My older bh has an old 7000 series montitor. You will need to go to the gun sink mode and often have to turn the brightness up for gun to work especially around the edges of the monitor. There is a bar graph for strenth of gun signal. The gun reads the screen so it could be the gun or you may need a rejuve. I tried a happ gun from my other bh and I am waiting for my cr 7000 rejuver to come in the mail. I can let you know what I find.
A recap is always a good start. My flyback was bad and my volt pots. Stupid glue all over them tends to break them when you try to adjust them.

just rebuilt another g07. On to the vector on Asteroids!
xcaliber

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 07:17:26 pm »

After I finish the Mortal Kombat I will get me a good solder and try my luck at a cap kit. I do appreciate the help guys. This is a fun hobby and you guys make it easier, even though Ian gave me shit about the "monitor".
VertexGuy
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 01:51:00 am »

well there should be a brightness and contrast on the back of the monitor chassis itself or the remote board aside from the flyback.
Ive seen people drop their remote boards into the bottom of a cab and crack/move the brightness pot .

there is a way to remove those scratches and you would never be able to tell it was even scratched.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: